If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

'08 Ford Taurus a bomb, thus far.

PMCErnie

'08 Ford Taurus a bomb, thus far.

Post by PMCErnie »

Thanks fer nuttin' , Mulally!

"Ford recently restyled the Five Hundred sedan for renamed it Taurus for 2008, but the new version hasn't come close to matching the old model. In September, Ford sold 3,562 of the new Taurus, versus 22,811 of the old one a year ago."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 4466.story
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

JJ

Post by JJ »

So much for name recognition.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

I think the issue is, if you read more into the article, is that ford's getting out of the "supply rental companies" business, which was the huge volume that the Taurus typically addressed. So, if you're not selling a car to rental companies, then the volume will obviously drop - likey to the same level that the 500 had a year ago..... Now, if Ford decided to sell the "new" Taurus into rental fleets at the same level of "vigor", then you'd likely be having great sales figures for the Taurus. but it sounds like Ford (and other mfgrs) want to AVOID the negative message of having tons of your cars in a rental fleet......

andy

PsyDoc

How long???

Post by PsyDoc »

This "name change" thing reminds me of my oldest son (he's 5) when he's fishing. Try a spot and if a fish does not bit within about 3 seconds, it's time to move and try a different one. I figured the "Five Hundred" would take 3-5 years to start showing name recognition among the masses. I guess Mulally is more like my 5-year-old than I realized.

Len_A

Re: '08 Ford Taurus a bomb, thus far.

Post by Len_A »

PMCErnie wrote:Thanks fer nuttin' , Mulally!

"Ford recently restyled the Five Hundred sedan for renamed it Taurus for 2008, but the new version hasn't come close to matching the old model. In September, Ford sold 3,562 of the new Taurus, versus 22,811 of the old one a year ago."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 4466.story
Boneheads at the Tribune used the wrong figures for comparison. The "old one" the Tribune used was the previous Taurus. According to Ford's web site (Link Here), Five Hundred's sales figures for September 2006 was 6,054, which is still off. HOWEVER, last year Ford was selling more Five Hundred's to the fleets, so that would inflate the sales figures some. Still, '08 Taurus sales figures are nothing to brag about.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, Merlot with a Pebble interior. Safety Package, Reverse Sensing System, and Moonroof. X-Pel Paint/Headlight Protection. Lots of Zaino on the paint!

That which does not kill you, only makes you...stranger.

papilgee4evaeva

Post by papilgee4evaeva »

Agreeing with Len.

And I am stating again that Ford's lack of advertising is going to hurt this car as well. They advertised the Edge ad nauseam, and we see them on the roads all the time.

Can Ford learn from its own successes and mistakes??
Current vehicles:
1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE, 109-114K (odo troubles)
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, 95K

Future Vehicles:
Ford Taurus AWD, loaded

Len_A

Post by Len_A »

papilgee4evaeva wrote:Agreeing with Len.

And I am stating again that Ford's lack of advertising is going to hurt this car as well. They advertised the Edge ad nauseam, and we see them on the roads all the time.

I see '08 Taurus ads all the time - "The safest full size car in America" ad campaign - saw it at least twice last night (shows a guy with his son, teaching him to ride a bike, then with the kid a bit older, handing him a bike riding helmet, and then the kid is old enough to drive, and Dad hands him the car keys, to a Dark Ink Blue Taurus Limited, and tells him it's his turn to drive), plus the local AM news radio station runs the radio version of it. Plus Taurus figures in one of the "Swap Your Ride" ad series, with an Avalon owners driving around a Taurus.

And they finally started advertising the Sable - I like Jill Wagner!! :D There's actually two different Jill Wagner Sable ads - one of them, she takes a Mercury grill badge and spins it, and the Sable starts forming around the Mercury grill badge. The second one is a "Sable has room for all your stuff" ad, touting the interior room and trunk space.

What I don't understand is why sales are off to such a slow start with all the advertising I am seeing, although Sable's sales numbers are much closer to last years Montego, and their were still Montego sales (and Five Hundred) in September.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, Merlot with a Pebble interior. Safety Package, Reverse Sensing System, and Moonroof. X-Pel Paint/Headlight Protection. Lots of Zaino on the paint!

citroen2200

Post by citroen2200 »

Yea they can, it will hirt them beaucse there dumb but it will work a little.
2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited Merlot.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount »

Len_A wrote:

I see '08 Taurus ads all the time - "The safest full size car in America" ad campaign - saw it at least twice last night (shows a guy with his son, teaching him to ride a bike, then with the kid a bit older, handing him a bike riding helmet, and then the kid is old enough to drive, and Dad hands him the car keys, to a Dark Ink Blue Taurus Limited, and tells him it's his turn to drive), plus the local AM news radio station runs the radio version of it. Plus Taurus figures in one of the "Swap Your Ride" ad series, with an Avalon owners driving around a Taurus.

And they finally started advertising the Sable - I like Jill Wagner!! :D There's actually two different Jill Wagner Sable ads - one of them, she takes a Mercury grill badge and spins it, and the Sable starts forming around the Mercury grill badge. The second one is a "Sable has room for all your stuff" ad, touting the interior room and trunk space.

What I don't understand is why sales are off to such a slow start with all the advertising I am seeing, although Sable's sales numbers are much closer to last years Montego, and their were still Montego sales (and Five Hundred) in September.
I would like both Jill Wagners at the same time, trying to sell me a new Sable :D :shock: :wink:

sleeper357
Former Moderator

Post by sleeper357 »

Time is what the taurus needs to build sales, but sadly time is not a commodity they have. There is a lot of compitition out there in this segment, charger,impala that are offering huge rebates effectively cutting taurus sales at the knees.

Jill Wagner has to do more !!!!!!

Len_A

Post by Len_A »

nettysmontego wrote:
Len_A wrote:

I would like both Jill Wagners at the same time, trying to sell me a new Sable :D :shock: :wink:
LOL! I always know we had something in common. I also really like the gal in the new Cadillac CTS commercial (Kate Walsh from Grey's Anatomy). :D :D

Jill Wagner Sable Comercial

papilgee4evaeva

Post by papilgee4evaeva »

Len_A wrote:I see '08 Taurus ads all the time - "The safest full size car in America" ad campaign - saw it at least twice last night (shows a guy with his son, teaching him to ride a bike, then with the kid a bit older, handing him a bike riding helmet, and then the kid is old enough to drive, and Dad hands him the car keys, to a Dark Ink Blue Taurus Limited, and tells him it's his turn to drive), plus the local AM news radio station runs the radio version of it. Plus Taurus figures in one of the "Swap Your Ride" ad series, with an Avalon owners driving around a Taurus.

Question: when you see the ads, are they mostly on the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, myNetwork), or do you see them on cable networks as well? I don't see them on cable networks most of the time, and those are the networks I watch the most.

I have seen that "Safest Full-Size Car in America" ad... it's good and all, but it's not competitive enough. I mean, sure, safety is highly important, but beyond that... what? I mean, they can tout the engine, available AWD, cargo space for days, the fact that the car gets comparable gas mileage to cars in a class below it...

I've actually seen more Sable ads than Taurus ads though... good for them. They show more of the utilitarian aspects of the car.
Current vehicles:
1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE, 109-114K (odo troubles)
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, 95K

Future Vehicles:
Ford Taurus AWD, loaded

GenoS

Jill

Post by GenoS »

I really don't care about the car. I just want to go for a ride with Jill.

gs
The Best Part of the Corps is THE CORPSMAN
HMCS(FMF) ret.

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Len_A wrote:What I don't understand is why sales are off to such a slow start with all the advertising I am seeing, .
Will this forum collective ever look at the car and wonder whether the car might be the reason the car isn't selling? It seems like everyone assumes that if Ford advertises it enough, the world will beat a path to its door. Perhaps the car just isn't good enough.

Just a thought.
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

JJ

Post by JJ »

Dutch wrote:
Len_A wrote:What I don't understand is why sales are off to such a slow start with all the advertising I am seeing, .
Will this forum collective ever look at the car and wonder whether the car might be the reason the car isn't selling? It seems like everyone assumes that if Ford advertises it enough, the world will beat a path to its door. Perhaps the car just isn't good enough.

Just a thought.
I don't think in this case it is an advertising problem. As for being good enough is questionable. Many factors come into play. Warranty, customer service, etc.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

Len_A

Post by Len_A »

JJ wrote:
Dutch wrote:

Just a thought.
I don't think in this case it is an advertising problem. As for being good enough is questionable. Many factors come into play. Warranty, customer service, etc.
There's one other factor in play here, driving the Taurus sales down, and contrary to the opinion that the styling and/or name change is driving the sales down, it's not. It's Taurus's size. It's classified as a large car, and right now, as of the August 2007 sales figures (Septembers will hopefully be available next week in Automotive News), all large sedans, that are reported, are down from the same month figures of August 2006. I mean ALL large sedans are down. Only monthly figures we no longer can get are Chrysler, because they stopped reporting monthly figures, but Chrysler aside, as of August 2007 Toyota Avalon is down 12.9% , Chevrolet Impala is down 4.5%, Buick Lucerne is down 20.4%, Nissan Maxima is down a whopping 46%, Mercury Grand Marquis is down a whopping 44.4%.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the Taurus numbers are off, as all of it's sedan competition are also off. With gas prices this past summer near the $3 a gallon mark, people aren't paying attention to MPG ratings for a vehicles class. Instead they're moving down one or two size classes.
Last edited by Len_A on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Len_A

Post by Len_A »

papilgee4evaeva wrote:
Len_A wrote:I see '08 Taurus ads all the time - "The safest full size car in America" ad campaign - saw it at least twice last night (shows a guy with his son, teaching him to ride a bike, then with the kid a bit older, handing him a bike riding helmet, and then the kid is old enough to drive, and Dad hands him the car keys, to a Dark Ink Blue Taurus Limited, and tells him it's his turn to drive), plus the local AM news radio station runs the radio version of it. Plus Taurus figures in one of the "Swap Your Ride" ad series, with an Avalon owners driving around a Taurus.

Question: when you see the ads, are they mostly on the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, myNetwork), or do you see them on cable networks as well? I don't see them on cable networks most of the time, and those are the networks I watch the most.

I have seen that "Safest Full-Size Car in America" ad... it's good and all, but it's not competitive enough. I mean, sure, safety is highly important, but beyond that... what? I mean, they can tout the engine, available AWD, cargo space for days, the fact that the car gets comparable gas mileage to cars in a class below it...

I've actually seen more Sable ads than Taurus ads though... good for them. They show more of the utilitarian aspects of the car.
Big Three networks, and on some cable channels like SciFi. The days of mass ad blitzing on all available TV channels is over. No car maker, Detroit or otherwise, has those kind of ad budgets.

Advertising isn't everything. One, people are becoming immune to advertising - there's so much that it's becoming hard to get people's attention. Two, time shifting, like with TIVO and other DVR's, allows people to cruise past commercials.