If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Door Handles

Discuss anything about the exterior here - e.g. paint, styling, colors, wheels, etc.
phillip

Door Handles

Post by phillip » Wed May 14, 2008 8:52 am

Ok, so I've wanted to get chrome door handles since I got the car. Never did, until now. The paint on the door handles gets chipped way too easy, and now 3 of my 4 handles look bad. I ordered the chrome handles yesterday. No idea when they'll get here, but hopefully by the end of next week. Anybody have these, and if so, any tips on installing them?
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

nabrum

Re: Door Handles

Post by nabrum » Wed May 14, 2008 9:07 am

Do a search. Some folkds did this with their 05's/06's.
Gorgeous Merlot/Black Limited, CVT/AWD, Moonroof, Side Airbags, Reverse Sensors, etc.

angel500

Post by angel500 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm

I had them on mine. You just remove the backing covering the sticky part behind the handles. Make sure the handles {area on the car to be applied} are clean and dry. Then press on. Hold for a few seconds. Then you're done. It was really easy to do.

phillip

Post by phillip » Thu May 29, 2008 1:42 pm

I finally received my door handle covers. The sticky tape on the back seems like precious little to hold something to the car at 70mph. Did anyone have trouble? Should I get some superglue to help? Thanks.
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Thu May 29, 2008 1:50 pm

phillip wrote:I finally received my door handle covers. The sticky tape on the back seems like precious little to hold something to the car at 70mph. Did anyone have trouble? Should I get some superglue to help? Thanks.
If the adhesive tape has the red removable strips, it's likely 3M automotive tape, and it'll hold at highway speeds no problems. Don't use any other sort of adhesive, because if you ever do need to remove them for some reason, it'll be impossible to do so. The beauty of the double-sided adhesive tape is that it sticks well, but can be removed with a little effort without damaging what's underneath.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:17 pm

super easy....I've had them on mine for about a year and a half with no issues at all. you should look into getting the chrome trunk trim too.

purrsonality

Post by purrsonality » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

I've had the chrome handle covers on my 06 for over 2 years; no problems with them whatsoever. Been through rain, snow, carwashes and numerous long distance highway trips. I also got the tail light covers and trunk trim. If you want to see pix, just go to my gallery.
purrsonality
06 Limited FWD Merlot/black with traction control, navigation system, adj. pedals, moonroof, safety pkg., rear spoiler, chrome door handle covers and chrome tail light trim.
Previous vehicles: 03 Taurus SEL, 95 Taurus GL,
87 Ranger XLT

Len_A

Post by Len_A » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:35 pm

angel500 wrote:I had them on mine. You just remove the backing covering the sticky part behind the handles. Make sure the handles {area on the car to be applied} are clean and dry. Then press on. Hold for a few seconds. Then you're done. It was really easy to do.
In addition to what Angel5600 recommends, which is all good advice, may I offer one more suggestion:

If you have waxed or detail the car with a paint sealant of any type, either get some Prepsol from your local auto parts store, or a bucket with a gallon of warm water with about two ounces of Dawn dish washing liquid, and use either the Prepsol or the Dawn to remove the wax or paint sealant from your door handles. If you go the Dawn soap route, and you used most any paint sealant, you'll need to wash the handles at least twice and maybe three times. Also with the Dawn dish soap method, after you dry it, wipe the handles down with rubbing alcohol. A lot of work, but this way there no wax or paint sealant to interfere with the adhesive tape on your door handle overlays. Otherwise, you stand a chance of them coming lose while you're driving and losing one or two of them

Good luck and have fun.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, Merlot with a Pebble interior. Safety Package, Reverse Sensing System, and Moonroof. X-Pel Paint/Headlight Protection. Lots of Zaino on the paint!

That which does not kill you, only makes you...stranger.