If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

oil

justme

oil

Post by justme » Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 am

Just purchased a used 2008 Taurus Limited. Do I need to use regular oil or semi-synthetic oil?

kmohr3

Re: oil

Post by kmohr3 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 pm

I would recommend a semi, or fully synthetic oil. Personally, I use Mobil 1 5w20. This will help the lifters from wearing as fast. (On this engine they are solid - not hydraulic). I don't know if they will wear or not, but in order to adjust them you would have to remove the camshafts and fit different sized buckets. Very labor intensive! Also, I'm hoping these will keep the camshaft phasers working properly - Also, very labor intensive.

Right now Mobil 1 at Walmart is $23.50 for a 5 quart bottle. The car will take 5.5 quarts.
ASE and VWoA Master Registered Tech

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 am

You can't beat the OEM Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W20 at WalMart for $11.50 for a 5 quart jug. And an extra quart is about 3 bucks to complete the change. And with a Motorcraft filter (FL820S) at $3.67 you can do the job for a cheap price and get the syn blend protection. The recommended oil change interval is 5000 miles, which would be wasting money going to a full syn, in my opinion unless you extend the interval. I run the OEM Motorcraft oil in all my cars, including a Honda Accord - and it holds up extremely well in all my vehicles.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Fri May 21, 2010 1:20 pm

andysinnh wrote:You can't beat the OEM Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W20 at WalMart for $11.50 for a 5 quart jug. And an extra quart is about 3 bucks to complete the change. And with a Motorcraft filter (FL820S) at $3.67 you can do the job for a cheap price and get the syn blend protection. The recommended oil change interval is 5000 miles, which would be wasting money going to a full syn, in my opinion unless you extend the interval. I run the OEM Motorcraft oil in all my cars, including a Honda Accord - and it holds up extremely well in all my vehicles.

andy
Yes very true!! I would use OEM but I get Mobil 1 oil at a discount so why not use it. Is the filter for the 2008 3.5 V6 really FL820S? If so that would rock cause it's the same filter I use on my 04 Marauder and luckily enough it uses the same weight.

I was reading in the manual and it says the recommend oil change interval is 7500 miles? Someone people go by the Oil Life gauge, once it reaches 20% I would get ready to change the oil but try not to go past 15%. Just something a mechanic of the repair shop next to my work told me that they tell all of their customers.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

ctrlraven wrote:
andysinnh wrote:You can't beat the OEM Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W20 at WalMart for $11.50 for a 5 quart jug. And an extra quart is about 3 bucks to complete the change. And with a Motorcraft filter (FL820S) at $3.67 you can do the job for a cheap price and get the syn blend protection. The recommended oil change interval is 5000 miles, which would be wasting money going to a full syn, in my opinion unless you extend the interval. I run the OEM Motorcraft oil in all my cars, including a Honda Accord - and it holds up extremely well in all my vehicles.

andy
Yes very true!! I would use OEM but I get Mobil 1 oil at a discount so why not use it. Is the filter for the 2008 3.5 V6 really FL820S? If so that would rock cause it's the same filter I use on my 04 Marauder and luckily enough it uses the same weight.

I was reading in the manual and it says the recommend oil change interval is 7500 miles? Someone people go by the Oil Life gauge, once it reaches 20% I would get ready to change the oil but try not to go past 15%. Just something a mechanic of the repair shop next to my work told me that they tell all of their customers.
Shoot - I forgot I was in the 08/09 thread - so I was talking about the 3.0 L vs the 3.5. The 3.5L takes the FL400S and uses 5.5 qt (vs the 3.0 w/FL820S and 6 qt) - so apologies for the misinformation... But I still stand by the Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 !

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

Meg's Dad

Post by Meg's Dad » Fri May 21, 2010 9:11 pm

I use Motorcraft semi-syn as it has a good rep and is really cheap. Once my warranty is up i'll go to full synthetic and an extended oil change of 7,500 miles. I know that the semi-syn should go for at least 5,000 miles (depending on how and what type of driving you do). but I was raised on 3,000 mile changes and poorer quality oil, so 7,500 is at the end of my comfort range.

If you want to hear absolutely everything there is to know about oil, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com. Those people are serious oil heads. They also discuss everything automotive related, not just lubrication. Per a couple of threads, the FL820S and FL400 oil filters get really good reviews.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Sat May 22, 2010 10:14 am

I agree with Andy. Your not going to find any better motor oil than the OEM Motorcraft synthetic blend that all FLM Dealers use. No need to throw money away on more expensive oil, especially if you do not keep your vehicle, until it "gives" up the ghost. The Motorcraft oil filter.....you won't find any better.

Look at the mileage we have put on our vehicles and NO oil related issues....Your just NOT going to have any. Those days are long gone because of the engineering specs and tolerances as well as better oil, filters and oil galleys.

We sold our 99 Sable to our FLM dealer service writer and it had 217,000 miles on it. He knew the car well, because we always had it serviced at that particular FLM dealer that he worked at.

tonyford

Post by tonyford » Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Don't be fooled, the 08 Taurus takes a Motorcraft 400s oil filter also sold a most Wal-Marts. Just got back from Wally World and picked 5 quarts of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20, $11.50, a quart of the same for $2.77 and the Motorcraft 400S filter for $3.67. Don't think your going to do much better price wise for what actually you should be using in your Taurus. My Taurus is still under warranty and using fluids or filters other than what Ford requires could void your warranty. Yes, you could waste money buying expensive Mobil 1 full synthetic oil or any other brand of full syn oil, but why? The vehicle does not call for it. Actually this is my wife's Taurus and she only works 4 miles from home, 8 miles round trip. The oil has to be changed more often because of this. Plan on changing it every 2 1/2 to 3 months. Short trips kill engine oil especially in winter when she gets to work and the engine never has reached full operating temperature most of the time.

tpr676

Post by tpr676 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Mobil 1 for me purchased from wally mart.
Be American, Buy American