If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Driver seat heat

ctrlraven

Re: Driver seat heat

Post by ctrlraven »

Mine stopped working again a little over a year ago. Don't feel like paying the $100 deductible and then knowing my luck something else will stop working or break the very next week and there is another $100.

The passenger seat heater has worked flawless since the first day I bought the car.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

ddderek

Post by ddderek »

Yeah I was off on my recollection of history... my drivers side has been replaced TWICE before and passenger once. I mean come on... you only turn the thing on in the coldest days of winter... So that's maybe 30 times per year!? How can these be so bad that they break so often!?
Owner of:
2005 Ford 500 SEL (totaled at 98k) :(
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2008 Taurus Limited
2009 Taurus SEL (daughter bought and moved to California)

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven »

ddderek wrote:Yeah I was off on my recollection of history... my drivers side has been replaced TWICE before and passenger once. I mean come on... you only turn the thing on in the coldest days of winter... So that's maybe 30 times per year!? How can these be so bad that they break so often!?
I agree. I didn't care about the first time it happened as I had the car in for several warranty issues and had it taken care of but in less time than I had owned the vehicle it happened again. The heated seats in my 2004 Marauder that has 200K + miles on it still work great.
2004 Mercury Marauder

ddderek

Post by ddderek »

ctrlraven wrote:
ddderek wrote:Yeah I was off on my recollection of history... my drivers side has been replaced TWICE before and passenger once. I mean come on... you only turn the thing on in the coldest days of winter... So that's maybe 30 times per year!? How can these be so bad that they break so often!?
I agree. I didn't care about the first time it happened as I had the car in for several warranty issues and had it taken care of but in less time than I had owned the vehicle it happened again. The heated seats in my 2004 Marauder that has 200K + miles on it still work great.
Same with my 2003 Explorer... they worked famously for 10 years without a hitch!
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService »

ddderek wrote:Sent you a PM with the info requested.... In looking back at records, the drivers side heater was actually already replaced TWICE BEFORE under warranty! Talk about faulty parts...
Thanks for the info, ddderek!

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

ddderek

Post by ddderek »

Once again, Ford has failed to offer any recourse towards compensation for the faulty parts or upgrading to a better part that won't keep breaking... Maybe this would be a good subject for a class action suit? These seat heaters have caused fires under people's legs, they have failed multiple times in the same vehicles... What else needs to happen? Does someone need to burn to death before they will admit they put a crap product in their car and find a reliable solution???
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J »

I am still under an extended warranty until march and 2 different Ford dealers have told me that the repair is not covered under warranty.

I am soon going to be trading it in on a Honda or Toyota. Nobody wants to buy a used Sable.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier FWD

FordCustomerService

Pastor J wrote:I am still under an extended warranty until march and 2 different Ford dealers have told me that the repair is not covered under warranty.

I am soon going to be trading it in on a Honda or Toyota. Nobody wants to buy a used Sable.
You can check the coverages included in your extended warranty here, Pastor J. Also, you can contact our ESP Sales Center at 1-888-252-3899 for more info.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J »

I have contacted the customer service center. I asked for a Supervisor and they said the supervisor would call me back. It didn't happen.

I bought an expensive all encompassing warranty, but this part is not on the list, which is just amazing since the warranty was sold to me as a bumper to bumper, excluding wearable items. This isn't a wearable item in my opinon. It isn't an expensive part, but it is the principle.

It seems that some on this board have had it covered and some haven't. I guess it depends on the local dealer as Ford doesn't care.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven »

Pastor J wrote:I have contacted the customer service center. I asked for a Supervisor and they said the supervisor would call me back. It didn't happen.

I bought an expensive all encompassing warranty, but this part is not on the list, which is just amazing since the warranty was sold to me as a bumper to bumper, excluding wearable items. This isn't a wearable item in my opinon. It isn't an expensive part, but it is the principle.

It seems that some on this board have had it covered and some haven't. I guess it depends on the local dealer as Ford doesn't care.
Mine was covered under the Ford Premium Care ESP that I bought when I purchased the car. The car was a Certified Pre-Owned and it made no sense why not to buy the warranty since it was offered at new car pricing.

If you bought the Powertrain, Basic or Extra ESP then it will not cover it, only the Premium ESP should include that item to be covered.
2004 Mercury Marauder

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J »

3rd Ford Dealer is the charm. Parts are on order and car should be fixed on Saturday. I shouldn't have to go through this, but thankful to my local Ford dealer.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven »

Pastor J wrote:3rd Ford Dealer is the charm. Parts are on order and car should be fixed on Saturday. I shouldn't have to go through this, but thankful to my local Ford dealer.
That's sad you have to go to a 3rd dealer to get something fixed.

I try to only deal with one dealership which luckily enough was one I used to work at and have bought several vehicles from. I will use them until they no longer serve a purpose for my needs and then move on. lol
2004 Mercury Marauder

FordCustomerService

Pastor J wrote:3rd Ford Dealer is the charm. Parts are on order and car should be fixed on Saturday. I shouldn't have to go through this, but thankful to my local Ford dealer.
Glad to learn it was taken care of, Pastor J. I’ll be more than happy to document your experience with both of those dealers as well. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and description of the incidents if you’d like me to.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

mgm22000

Re: Driver seat heat ... DIY

Post by mgm22000 »

I recently joined this group. I've owned a 2008 Sable since 2012. I'm an "Advanced Do-It Yourself-er." I've disassembled and reassembled most every interior and exterior panel of this car...because, why not?
That being said, I took it upon myself this winter (2014) to fix the elements. Both, my drivers side and passengers side heated seat bottoms had issues. I bought Dorman (641-205) replacement elements from Amazon for about $40/each.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-641-205-Se ... automotive

If anyone has questions about the processes or parts feel free to PM me.

ddderek

Post by ddderek »

How many specialty tools did you need to get everything apart to replace them?
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

ddderek

Post by ddderek »

Someone was mentioning something about some clips that hold the seat cover down that you need to replace and have a tool to get on or off? Any other tricks to it?
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

mgm22000

Post by mgm22000 »

You're probably referring to "Hog Ring Pliers." Every seat element you order comes with a baggie containing; Around ~20 Hog Rings & a pair of simple hog ring pliers. Everything you need should be included or in a basic household tool set.

I own an automotive electronics/specialty shop in Michigan. Assuming I may be doing this type of job again, I invested in a Dewalt P7DW Hog Ring Pliers Kit on Amazon (I got mine for $28) It was worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I7P ... ge_o00_s00

The kit comes with nearly 1000 hog rings and has a spring-loaded magazine feed.

These seats have 5 "Flaps" three go left and right. Two "Flaps" front to back.

You'll want strong wire cutters or something similar to cut the old hog rigs away (Longer reach is best)

Notable photos