If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Front suspension creeking noise

Thunder

Front suspension creeking noise

Post by Thunder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus with 75,000 miles on the clock. The car runs well but has begun to make noises in the front suspension/steering. I'm looking for some help solving this problem. The noise is a fairly loud creek from the front passenger side. I notice the noise more when the car turns to the left. If I move the steering wheel left and right while the car is stationary in the driveway I can hear the noise as well. The noise is caused by turning the steering wheel. Bumps in the road don't seem to cause the noise to happen. I got under the car with my grease gun but was unable to find any grease fittings on the front suspension, tie rod ends, ball joints or anywhere at all. I sprayed some undercoating oil on the upper end of the struts, but this didn't seem to help. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what is the solution.

bartlettracing

Re: Front suspension creeking noise

Post by bartlettracing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 am

ford change my struts for this noise .... there is a tsb for this problem .
2008 taurus grey,chrome wheels,tinted glass,auto start,loaded ....

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:37 pm

The TSB is just them pulling down the dust cover, greasing some things up and then sliding the dust cover back up. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic chassis lube grease on mine and it hasn't made a sound in months. Before it was starting to do it every 3-4 months.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Mine have been replaced 3 times time and I have 54k on the car.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier FWD

fblas2

Post by fblas2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Check TSB 09-19-4 regarding front strut noise for cars built before 6/23/2009. This might be applicable to your problem.

mustang1

Post by mustang1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I've had the same issue with my 2008 Taurus Limited AWD, only 15,800 miles on it. Front clunking/rattle/creaking noise on the front passenger's side. Brought it in to my local dealer and they referred to the service bulletin about getting into the dust cover and greasing the fitting, which they did, however still have the same noise and noticing a new noise? The tech took for a test drive after and said it was fine? Maybe he was listening to some tunes, because it definitely didn't go away at all? The car is still under the factory bumper to bumper until May and I also purchased an extended plan from Ford (Basic Care), which I was told will cover the suspension parts? Just sent an email to the Service Manager, stating the noise is still very much there and never went away? I'm frustrated that I have to go back again for the same issue and it wasn't really addressed the first time? It sounds from this forum, that this may just be the beginning of a long battle to fix the problem? I'm sure if I took it to a small shop familiar with Fords, they'd find the problem the first time? Ford help us out with this, its obviously not an isolated incident!

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:08 pm

mustang1 wrote:I've had the same issue with my 2008 Taurus Limited AWD, only 15,800 miles on it. Front clunking/rattle/creaking noise on the front passenger's side. Brought it in to my local dealer ...however still have the same noise and noticing a new noise?...
Hello mustang1,

Lets have the Customer Service Manager in your area provide some assistance. For this to occur, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Thanks,

Noemi
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

08taurusSEL

Post by 08taurusSEL » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:11 am

I had a similar noise coming from the front of mine during the first year of ownership when it had about 25-30K miles. I only really noticed the noise at low speeds such as when turning into the garage with the windows down. Took it to the dealer who stated it was the wheel bearings and replaced both front bearings under warranty. Have not had the noise return and have 60K on it now.

May not be the same thing you are describing. I would have described it more of a cracking noise.

mustang1

Post by mustang1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:26 am

Just got my 08 Taurus Limited AWD back from its second visit to the dealer for the clunking/creaking noise in the front suspension, mine was primarily on the passenger side. They ended up replacing the front struts and assembly, which seems to have solved the problem for now? They stated that they spoke with Ford Tech and they approved the fix, however that it may not relieve the problem? I'm crossing my fingers that it worked, since I only have 16,000mi on the car. I happen to have the factory bumper to bumper on it until May and I also bought an extended Ford warranty. I hope this helps

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:18 pm

When it gets to 40000 miles, you will have it happen again. I am on my 3rd set with 57k

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:16 am

My car is now having the same issue, almost always when I'm turning. It's very annoying unfortunately, because otherwise I really enjoy driving the car. I have not yet taken it in to have it looked at, but I'm pretty sure it's the issue described in the TSB. I'm not sure what good just greasing things up is going to do though, rather than actually fixing whatever problem is causing this sound.

SaBull

Post by SaBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Anyone know of any aftermarket upgrade suspension parts for these cars? I have had front struts replaced under warranty a while back and now that my warranty is expired I would like to install better quality struts, stabilizer links, etc.
2010 Ford Flex SEL EcoBoost
2009 Buell 1125CR
1978 Yamaha XS750E
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Sigmund,
Greasing doesn't do a thing. They have to be replaced.

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 am

Pastor J wrote:Sigmund,
Greasing doesn't do a thing. They have to be replaced.
That certainly makes more sense.

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 am

SaBull wrote:Anyone know of any aftermarket upgrade suspension parts for these cars? I have had front struts replaced under warranty a while back and now that my warranty is expired I would like to install better quality struts, stabilizer links, etc.
Great question. As long as the junk has to be replaced anyway, might as well get the good stuff :D

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:02 pm

I broke 60k miles this week and guess what returned! The ridiculous clunking noise. It is like clock work
and now 60k.

Back to the dealer to get this fixed. How many times does the suspension have to be replaced in a car?

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 pm

The mechanic I took the car to is telling me the creaking, grinding noise coming from what seems to be the front of the car, especially during turns or when going over speed bumps is the brakes and axle needing lubrication. Could this be a possibility?

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Nope. Each time, the Ford dealer has replaced the front struts. They tried greasing and the noise just came right back

stevecc

Post by stevecc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 am

I have been in on several occasions over the last 2 years with my 2009 Taurus Limited for the same issues described here. (When I purchased the car, I also purchased a "premium extended warranty". I have always done this on my used cars and have never been sorry.)

Anyway the best that will happen is the noise, etc will go away for a period of time. But, it will return. :(

It is ridiculous that a company the size of Ford and the expertise they obviously have in building cars and trucks, that they cannot solve this problem.

Pastor J

Post by Pastor J » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 am

The solution seems to be to have a different strut installed or to trade your car in for a different Make and model (which is where I am heading).