If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

miltontrex
Vehicle: 2008 Taurus X Limited

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by miltontrex » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:32 pm

I have had similar episodes over the past couple of months and was able to take the following photo of the dash
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2711.JPG (574.08 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
after reading some of the descriptions on the forum

Brought it to a dealer and they ran diags but found no codes. Will be bringing it to a transmission shop. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank You

RBTaurusx09
Vehicle: 2009 Taurus x SEL

Post by RBTaurusx09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 am

Folks, Been looking all over for a response as to what finally solved this issue? I have a 2009 Taurus X with 145000 on it. I just bought it two months ago. It has had the dashboard thing happen once, but after sitting off over night, it was fine just the check engine wrench on. Had code pulled showed OSS sensor issue. Since having reset to turn off wrench, now stutters when going up slight incline. Usually between 40 and 50 MPH. Only happens on gentle acceleration. If accelerating hard does not happen at that speed, except at around 60 under hard acceleration. Also, if you drive with OD off it does not happen. Can anyone answer what they did to fix this issue? I know its a 8 year old car but I have owned Toyotas for over 12 years and over 200K that have no issues. Not confident of taking this car on any long trips. A good answer as to what someone did to repair this would be great.

MiiDog
Vehicle: 08 Taurus x

Post by MiiDog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Had the same problem, but went and bought a new battery and problem solved. Tranny shifts like brand new. Noticed the old battery may have had a dead cell and probably getting voltage spikes or drops

RBTaurusx09

Post by RBTaurusx09 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 am

Do you think that by disconnecting the battery you reset the CPU and that corrected it, not because you got a new battery?

MiiDog
Vehicle: 08 Taurus x

Post by MiiDog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 am

I disconnected battery every time the transmission went into default mode about once or twice a week for about 5 months. Then changed the battery and car runs like brand new with no shifting problems whatsoever for the last 3 months

Meg's Dad

Post by Meg's Dad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Back after a long time gone. My 08 has 126k miles and still has all the issues. The occasional hard shift from 1-2, the disengagement of the tranny when applying gas (while in gear), and the very occasional speedo/tach epileptic fit. My current "fix" is to disconnect the positive terminal for a few minutes. Of course, I get to reset everything afterwards.

I have changed batteries, cleaned positive and negative terminals, cleaned the wiring harness attachments to ground (the 3 I could find) without a permanent fix. Once the dealer actually found a code for the throttle body which he replaced, also without a permanent fix.

I have noticed that my clock runs slower than actual time, possibly indicating a lower than optimal alternator output. Right now I think it may be one of 3 things.

1) my alternator/regulator is not behaving well
2) I have missed a ground in the wiring harness that may be causing issues
3) my computer brain is sketchy.

I feel positive that the issue is electrical and not mechanical. Sorry I can't be of more help, but the remaining "fixes" are beyond what I want to mess with now.

I do wonder if a better quality battery might be a fix.

Best of luck to all.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

RBTaurusx09

Post by RBTaurusx09 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Looks like i fixed mine. It was a combination of the OSS and TSS senores which cost $430 and a misfire from cylindar 6. So new plugs gapped correctly and problem solved for under $500

Fed-up
Vehicle: Ford Taurus 2008

Post by Fed-up » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

RBTaurusx09 wrote: Also, if you drive with OD off it does not happen.
Thank you for noting this and then posting it. Our car goes into limp mode, several times per week, we have had new batteries and spark plugs, which works for awhile, but I do not want to start chasing potential fixes since no one knows the actual issue, and therefor incurring all kinds of unnecessary costs. If the repair was straight forward, and I had confidence that is would solve the problem, I would absolutely do it. But turning off overdrive, has definitely worked for the short term. We use the car for "around town" driving mostly now, so the loss of OD works for us. We have been doing this since your post and it has only gone into limp mode once, and that was because we were pushing it too hard on a six mile highway incline (won't be doing that again). Until Ford has a proper fix for this issue, we will continue with the OD off while doing city driving. In my mind there is a correlation between OD and the failure.

Fed-up
Vehicle: Ford Taurus 2008

Post by Fed-up » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am

RBTaurusx09 wrote:Looks like i fixed mine. It was a combination of the OSS and TSS senores which cost $430 and a misfire from cylindar 6. So new plugs gapped correctly and problem solved for under $500
Sounds promising, could you report back over the summer and let us know, if the car is still preforming well? Others have reported fixes as well, but it is hard to know if it is a short term or long term fix.

Fuel injection
Vehicle: 2008 ford taurus x sel

Post by Fuel injection » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I have an 08 x took it in to milex mr transmission for a trans rebuild .it was slamming into reverse breaking top trans mount and slipping to 3rd. Well after internal rebuild on there test drive it still was not right .for some crazy reasons they replace 1 cam sensor they may have broke it.but still was not right so they replace solenoid body and then sent to ford for reprogramming not just a flash .i picked it up went to rental place to pick my wife up drove fine went to leave no reverse and was in limp mode with wrench light and drove only in 3rd went back and they hooked it up and said it was tos turbine output sensor which does come off frome outside but has to be unpluged from under cover behind solenoid body. They thought ford didnt plug in something all the way.well now they say its the vave body they did replace shaft output sensor and turbine output sensor in initial rebuild .the crazy thing is it was driveable when i dropped it off.part was coming in today and it supposed to be an upgraded valve body .have not heard from shop today i am thinking friday.

Jackpot1
Vehicle: 2008 Taurus X SEL

Post by Jackpot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 pm

I bought 08 SEL model a few weeks ago..it still has 30 days tags on it but I gotta say, it runs and shifts immaculately....202,xxx miles on mine Andrew somebody ppl barely made 40,000.....how can one Taurus x last over 3 times longer than another if they were all made in the same factory in Chicago.... car fax might show if my cars problem was solved prior to me owning it

Fuel injection
Vehicle: 2008 ford taurus x sel

Post by Fuel injection » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Its now saturday new valve body installed now no reverse

Trexownr
Vehicle: 08 Taurus X Limited

Post by Trexownr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 am

I was reading over several threads on Taurus X hard shifts and came upon this one. I felt compelled to join after reading a few posts where owners had the exact same issue as my car. A bit of background: A few months ago we were heading to Columbus OH. We got about 15 miles from home and while at a stop sign my car felt like it was stuck in 6th gear and the gauge cluster went nuts. I shut it off as others have done and upon restart and takeoff, hard shift. Dealer replaces OSS and TSS.
Now for the part that resembles the experience of others: A few months later we're driving in the Hocking Hills area and notice while going up hills at lower speed (40-50 mph) the car is downshifting hard. I took the car out of OD and it seemed to improve. Another benefit of being out of OD was the car would actually downshift when I applied the brakes using the engine to slow the car going downhill. I thought at the time it happened that the engine was running rough even though no CEL came on. It seems like the car gets confused on what gear to be in at lower speed climbing hills. Some have suggested cleaning the TB and a plug change helped. Any updates from those who have done some tuneup work?
I don't personally believe it's a trans valve body or trans solenoid issue or it would happen on hills or in the flats as well as happen on a more consistent basis. I have read a lot of threads where the dealer starts with OSS and TSS then moves to solenoid pack etc and none were fixed by these steps or it was only temporarily fixed. My wife can drive the car for days and it won't happen and then suddenly it acts up. I think part of it is poor programming for the transmission. This car will go into 6th at times when if the car was a manual I'd never shift into 6th. When I took it out of OD the engine stayed up higher in the RPM range and the problem was pretty much non existent. It's almost like it's lugging the engine and then finally decides to downshift out of 6th. I could feel the car "chugging" as it went up hill in 6th and just before it would make the hard shift out of 6. I might give cleaning the TB a shot since it's good PM.

billzie
Vehicle: 08 Ford Taurus X AWD Limited

Post by billzie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am

Newly signed up here, joined for this trans issue to get info. I came from TCCA and there the consensus was OSS and TSS replacement. I've done that and fear the damage to the trans was too much and I think it's toast now. The fluid I drained out was burnt. I had to drain the new fluid I added and could see the fine shimmering metallic dust in it. I still have to top it off just to make sure but I'm not that hopeful. My only wheels is my barely hanging on 02 Sable wagon so next time I have to leave the house I'll get more Mercon V at WM and finish topping it off and see what happens.
Has anyone attempted rebuilding this trans on their own? I've never done an automatic but as long as major internal hard parts are ok it seems like they are a pretty straightforward rebuild with a few special or modified tools.
Bill

billzie
Vehicle: 08 Ford Taurus X AWD Limited

Post by billzie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Update:
I finally got around to taking out the T-X to get fluids up to temp and to a level area as I live in a very hilly area. I topped off the trans fluid, and my problems still exist.
So, since I have the wrecked 08 Merc Sable AWD in the driveway, I pulled the trans out of it. It was a royal PITA. I had some help but it took forever. It eventually came out of the bottom after also pulling out the K member and keeping the engine suspended.
I've learned a lot in the process so on the T-X I'm pulling out the engine together with trans and K member. Then disassembling the trans from engine. While I'm at it I'm going to replace the output axle shaft seals and remove the OSS and TSS from the bad trans and put them into the donor trans. As for the donor PTU I'm going to open it up to inspect, clean, and tap for a drain plug (this is another Ford debacle on this platform), and refill with new gear oil.
Also, while engine out I'm going to replace the water pump, possibly do the timing chain set, thermostat, and plugs.
Yay.
Bill

byrdman51
Vehicle: 2008 Mercury Sable Premium

Post by byrdman51 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Have same problem with stuttering at 40-50 mph. Turn of OD & it goes away. Took to trans shop twice but they could do nothing since they could not replicate the stuttering and there were no codes. They told me not to turn off OD since that would "damage" the trans. They changed trans oil which did not improve the problem. Made not mention of issues with trans oil. The stuttering first occurred immediately after driving thru a puddle at 50mph. Thought electronics got wet and it got better when dried out. However, stuttering still continues sporadically 2 years after this episode. This past summer we had two consecutive months with very little rain, and it seemed like the problem went away. Once we started having weekly rain showers, the sporadic stuttering resumed. My question is are there any external trans sensors that may cause this problem when they get wet or damp?

bruce_in_pa18015
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus X

Post by bruce_in_pa18015 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am

I purchased my Ford Taurus X on 12/12/2016 at 55,645 miles. I started to follow this forum after my first transmission failure on 2/6/2017. Between 2/6/2017 and 1/27/2018 I had seven episodes where the transmission went into fail safe mode. The mileage between failures ranged from between 408 miles up to 4210 miles. And the failures occurred both during down shifting while pulling a grade, and down shifting while coming to a stop.

After reading the fixes others on this forum performed, I installed a quick disconnect switch at the battery so I could erase the transmission error codes quickly, and continue on my way. I would then document my occurrence to see if a pattern took shape, and how it compared to what others on this forum were experiencing.

I must mention that from the time I purchased the car, I noticed that the engine would miss if it was lugged regardless of what gear the transmission was in. I learned to try not to let the transmission decide when to downshift, but for me to force the downshift by applying more throttle when the engine began to lug.

I am joining the group on this forum that doesn’t believe this is a hard part transmission problem, but a problem associated with the computer programming associated with some of the following: throttle position sensor, engine RPM, MPH, spark plug or coil misfiring, etc. How can the transmission error codes blame the TSS and OSS sensors for being bad, yet when you erase the error codes the transmission works fine? And how is a hard part failure in the transmission related to all the other components that go crazy on the dash when the failure occurs?

On 4/5/2018, I had a complete tune up which included 6 new spark plugs and new coils in cylinders 1, 2, 3, & 6 at 66,497 miles. It is now 11/03/2018 and I have driven and additional 6,583 miles since I had the spark plugs and some coils replaced, and 8,290 miles since my last transmission failure. We shall see if my transmission malfunctions cease to exist now that this service work was performed, or am I jinxing myself by submitting this post?

dab1068

Post by dab1068 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 pm

I apologize for not taking the time to read 7 pages of posts before asking. It seems these cars are problematic for transmission / engine failures.

Bruce, please keep us posted.

Now for my problem. We have an 08 SEL AWD with 116K miles on it. Runs awesome and is in excellent condition but the transmission seems to hate pulling grades. Especially after warming up and after about 50 miles or so. It feels like it's just popping out of gear but not sure how an automatic can do that so I think it's just dumping down to about 2nd gear which, at 50 - 60 mph can feel like it's just dropping out of gear. When I called the transmission shop, they told me - tough luck for me, can't get parts, have to buy a whole new transmission for that model. Anyone else been told this about the CV transmissions for the all wheel drives? I don't have $4k for a new tranny. I'm curious if anyone else has had this exact problem and been able to find another fix. Also interested to know if my transmission guy is on the up and up. He always has been before but just checking all options.

Anyone with ideas, let me know. I will continue to dig my way through this thread to see what's hear but I am a bit impatient and wanting answers faster than my attention span for reading forums. I appreciate very much any input.

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Post by mmsstar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 am

Do you have a Taurus X or a Freestyle?

dab1068

Post by dab1068 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Taurus X. 2008.