If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

tbirdman

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by tbirdman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:00 pm

I have an 08 Tarus X , just turned 46K miles and is acting up. My dealership has the worst service department in the world and I will not take it back to them. Thank you Ford for pushing this garbage on the public that should have never been released !!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 am

Well called Ford Service Dept in Detroit. The gal I talked with was very understanding. I Got a case number but appears nothing will be done. So Ford, my future car purchases will NOT BE a FORD..

Sincerely,
A LOST CUSTOMER

tbirdman

Post by tbirdman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Jeffro wrote:Well called Ford Service Dept in Detroit. The gal I talked with was very understanding. I Got a case number but appears nothing will be done. So Ford, my future car purchases will NOT BE a FORD..

Sincerely,
A LOST CUSTOMER
The sad thing is Ford does NOT care. I don't understand the logic in a company that won't protect their customers, they push this junk on us because they know it will go until your warranty runs out. It is always a new product and they want it out the door on schedule, sadly ready or not it goes out the door..........Well, when sales decline they may rethink how to keep customers happy but, I really doubt it...........................................

bobgor

Post by bobgor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am

Had the same problem over the weekend with my 2008 Taurus X. I was on the highway going about 60 when the wrench icon came on along with the tire pressure and low fuel and air bag icons. I continiued until I got home and parked and turned off the engine. I started up again and the icon display went away but when I shifted into gear the transmission banged and the whole car shook. I tried shifing into reverse and again the tranny banged even louder. Today I had the car towed to Ford dealer and left it there. This car only has 18, 500 miles on it-very low mileage.
:evil:

jamesd

Post by jamesd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I had a similar issue on the highway with my Taurus SEL, the loss of the speedometer, indicating display and wrench, fuel, airbag, tire pressure indicators lite up. The car stuck in the gear it was in and only changed after multiple reverse to drive transitions (each not so pleasant with grinding noises and shutters). I took it to the dealer and the they said the soleniod in the transmission was sticking and that it would need to be replaced, but that they checked the fluid and it looked clean. The car has just over 100K and the mechanic assured that the fix would allow the transmission to go to 200K. Has anybody had the solenoids changed out to fix the issue? I would hate to throw fixes and money at the problem to just turn around and have the same issue which appears to be the pattern from reading the forum.

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:55 pm

News Flash::::

I just got the car back tonight after over 3 weeks in the shop. Paid $2925.00 for so called repairs to the transmission. I drove it home from the shop to pickup the wife so she could take me back in to get my truck. I got home before she did and when she pulled into the drive way the car was smoking. I kids came running in the house to tell me the car was on fire. I ran outside to see smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and I see what appears to be transmission fluid all over the top of the engine. So appears the shop really fixed the transmission........NOT ....
It will be fixed and fixed right is all I have to say.....................

hoffbo

Post by hoffbo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I had the same issues, clunking sound, air bag light, wrench light, showing only 42 miles to empty when I had 3/4 of a tank. I got the error P0720. What seems to be common in all these is the transmission has to be replaced. Pretty crazy especially when most these issues the vehicles have less than 70k miles on them. Has anybody fixed this transmission other than replacing the transmission???
Thanks for any input.

I am moving forward with the TSB 07-21-11 and going to try and see what happens after replacing the Turbine Speed Sensor and the Output Shaft Speed Sensor. Got the Ford parts off of Ebay. My vehicle is a 2008 Mercury Sable, 61k miles.

rmjohnson

Post by rmjohnson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh my!!! So many with the same problem! I was 83 miles from home when the same thing happened. Wrench light, gas light, mph gauge everything the same as everyone else. Had it towed back home and shop tells me it had a bad code. They cleared the code and now driving great!!! I am scared to drive it!! I had three kids in the car in the middle of nowhere. Praise God no other cars were behind me!!! I LOVE MY CAR!!!! Any news on the real problem before I pay $3000 for a new transmission?

adg

Post by adg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm

To: gray1402

I just experienced the same thing you described in your post: slow acceleration, as if parking brake was on, electronic lights for odometer, fuel etc. looking like ----.---- or something like that. The "wrench" signal was on. Luckily I was only a couple blocks from home. I haven't restarted the car to see if it is driving normally.

I have a service appointment with my dealership tomorrow. The service rep says there is probably something wrong with the throttle, and replacing it will be $575, estimated. I am so worried that I am just postponing replacing the transmission. What happened with your Taurus X? Should I try to just clean the throttle? Did Ford Motor (who I understand monitors this site) offer you any assistance?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Horn.44117

Post by Horn.44117 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 am

Three weeks ago I had to have our 2008 Taurus X towed 25 miles to our house. It was doing all the crazy clunking and slipping with no warning or symptoms. Our extended warranty for 75.000 miles has expired due to having 93,000 miles on our car. I didn't take it to a Ford dealership to be looked at. I took it to a mechanic my friend has used for 15+ years and guess what? I do need a transmission. It will cost us $3,000.00 which I don't have in the cookie jar or in the bank. I'm very disappointed because I'm a Ford gal and we have owned several Fords and Mercuries. What is really troublesome is I still owe another 12 months on this car and there's no way I can trade it in at it's current state. So I'm going to save my $ and get it fixed,pay it off and keep it. I like our Taurus X and it's served us well up to now. I haven't had any other problems with it so I suppose it's one of those things with a particular car...a very expensive thing. Perhaps that is why they no longer make the Taurus X.

mrazc01

Post by mrazc01 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I have a 2008 Taurus X as well. We have been plagued by what sounds to be this same issue. My wife's car physically stopped 3 - 4 times when turning into traffic. My kids were in the car, every time. Once it did this while turning left across a 4 lane road. Scary. Every time the car clunked and came to a hard stop, but the engine did not die. My wife had to turn the car off and start it again to get it moving. It took quite some time for a Ford dealer to figure out it was the transmission, and the mileage was just shy of 60,000. It took a week or more for the problem to get fixed in NOV of 2011, but it was under warranty. I remember telling Packey Webb Ford, the dealer that serviced the transmission, that I was worried this would happen again. I was told that once they serviced one of these rare transmission problems, he never say them come back.

Just last FRI, my wife's car did it again. This time turning right into traffic. WTF... I called the dealer, and they told me at 72K miles plus, it is past their warranty. I called Ford customer service and they gave me a case number, but that nothing could be done until I had a Ford dealer look at it. I took it into Packey Webb Ford this AM. The service writer was not very pleasant and wanted to know why I was blaming the issue on the transmission and their service work. He then told me that they would charge $139 just to look at it and if nothing came up, that I would have to pay it. It was like he was giving me a chance to tell him to forget about it.

I know the test will come out clear... It always does.... I will likely be trading this piece of junk in. This is my wife's second Ford and we were going to buy an Explorer in a couple of years....

Because of their transmission problem, and their horrible customer service at the dealer... I WILL NEVER buy another Ford. Honda or Volvo, here I come.

MadCowRacer

Post by MadCowRacer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 am

Found this on a search to double check what the service manager at my dealership was saying. I too have registered hard/missed shifts multiple times on my wife's 08 Taurus with AWD. Like others on here it was not able to be replicated during trips to the dealership and multiple reflashes of the program. 83k and the car went into limp mode 45 miles from home. Guess what TSS and OSS replacement. With this many known complaints about this problem Ford should cover this problem under warranty because it clearly isn't an isolated incident and seems to be happening around the same mileage.

The the above poster, take it to Rod Baker and talk with Marcus. The problem with the car is unsatisfactory, but I have never had a problem with their professionalism. (good thing with the number of times I've had to have this car services). We have had some unnecessary delays in our repairs for the cam phasing problem we had, but he was able to explain the process and why it was taking so long, while making their loaner available for us.

JWKerrigan

Post by JWKerrigan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:33 pm

2008 Ford Taurus X owner here... We have less than 80k miles on our car and it is shifting rough. From what I read on here, this is a very common problem. Shame. Ford should really address this issue on a major way. We are taking it to the shop...

rain

Post by rain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm

I have a 2008 ford taurus X and it just got 40000 miles on it. The power train warranty just expired. In the past month, I have the exact experience on what was described in the previous posts. On the stop going uphill, powertrain wrench light on, Very hard to shift gear, no movement even step on gas. Looks like the same problem. Just dropped to the dealer and see what they can do for it.

Very disappointed, Maybe it is time to trade in for a non ford car now.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 am

Even after having several parts on the transmission replaced under Ford warranty, mine would do it several times throughout a month period. About a month ago I would guess I got a 87 octane performance tune from Mike @ 5star tuning and I have had ZERO trans issues so, maybe something with the increased torque parameter for the throttle response fixed the issue. I know it's been a lot more pleasure to drive since it will get up and go and about 2 mpg increase so far even with running the AC about 80% of the time.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

Katielady

Post by Katielady » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 am

I have a 2008 Taurus X I got it at 60 ish miles As is! Well I have had it a yaer and a half and a head gasket blew ($2,200), Transmission work ($500), Now its doing the exact thing everyone else is saying. Got a code P0720 all indicator lights come on, and the car will not accelerate, this only happens when I have driven the car for awhile. My mechanic told me that the labor on this vehicle is more because of way the the engine of the way the engine id designed, and that you can only get majority of the parts from ford. Ford is full of crap they know the Taurus is crap and keep letting people trade them in and continue to sell these POS. Ford Company is American Trash!

joer58

Post by joer58 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:32 am

I can't believe there is a forum on this topic! I'm the owner of 2008 Taurus X (133k miles). Yesterday, while driving in a fairly remote location on a fishing trip I encountered the exact same situation mentioned here - wrench light, blank odometer, airbag light; however the car seemed to be running fine. I stopped anyway, turned off the ignition and restarted the car. All the lights were gone and after an initial "bump" shifting into drive I kept going. We fished for several hours and headed home. I did not have any trouble on the return trip. After finding this forum last night I am counting my blessings over and over. I'm not sure what we would have done other than spend the night in the car! I am taking it in tomorrow to my regular mechanic. I might have him do a tune up and see what happens. I'll keep you posted but I wanted to add my story to your numbers. Maybe someone at Ford will take notice if enough people come forward......

Boatman

Post by Boatman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, my Taurus X transmission also needs to be replace at 89,000 miles. I understand that GM uses the same transmission and they are helping out people with the problem. These transmission valve bodies are bad it's some thing I believe that Ford needs to recall or fix at a reduced price. It is not if you have the problem but when you have the problem it seems almost all of them have it. I realize Ford may not build the transmission but they use then in there vehicles. My wife loves the car and we will have to get a loan to fix it. It is just unfortunate that Ford will not stand behind there vehicles. Where is for Quality??

BillR

Post by BillR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 pm

I know I don't have a dog in this fight but my buddy just dumped his Taurus X for similar issues.

A quick search yields this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6- ... ansmission

And this just one of many result of a search results using the terms "2008 gmc transmission problems"

http://www.edmunds.com/gmc/acadia/2008/ ... sions.html

I believe Ford and GM are still in bed together on some transmissions.

Just an informational post...
1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe
1993 Taurus SHO
1994 Taurus Wagon
2000 Taurus SE - 2002 Taurus SEL
2002 Taurus SEL - 2002 Sable
2012 Taurus SEL-White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

joer58

Post by joer58 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I took my Taurus X to my mechanic today. He could not find anything wrong and moreover could not detect any bad codes when he connected it to the diagnostic machine (or whatever). It's as if the incident on Saturday did not occur. He found some badly worn plugs and changed these as well as a general tune up. He admitted the car was difficult to work on for even the basic stuff. I guess I'll stay close to home until I feel comfortable with traveling in it....