If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Boatman

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by Boatman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Horn.44117 wrote:Three weeks ago I had to have our 2008 Taurus X towed 25 miles to our house. It was doing all the crazy clunking and slipping with no warning or symptoms. Our extended warranty for 75.000 miles has expired due to having 93,000 miles on our car. I didn't take it to a Ford dealership to be looked at. I took it to a mechanic my friend has used for 15+ years and guess what? I do need a transmission. It will cost us $3,000.00 which I don't have in the cookie jar or in the bank. I'm very disappointed because I'm a Ford gal and we have owned several Fords and Mercuries. What is really troublesome is I still owe another 12 months on this car and there's no way I can trade it in at it's current state. So I'm going to save my $ and get it fixed,pay it off and keep it. I like our Taurus X and it's served us well up to now. I haven't had any other problems with it so I suppose it's one of those things with a particular car...a very expensive thing. Perhaps that is why they no longer make the Taurus X.
I have the exactly the same problem and ford will do nothing I have 89,000 it is very sad that they sell the car for $29,000 and will not stand be hind there car ($3450 for a new transmission). It is no longer Ford Quality 1 now it is FORD JUNK 1. We are all very disappointed with ford. I have bought my last one BYE BYE ford.

jbird

Post by jbird » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Chichiflys wrote:Thank you Noemi. We took the car to AAMCO for a second opinion. They drove it with an OBD kit hooked up and were able to observe the issue. Their computer diagnosed it as an engine problem, not a transmission problem like we had suspected. So we replaced the plugs and so far haven't been able to notice any problems. The other option their computer suggested was to replace the coils, but that was too expensive and since it didn't trip a malfunction code, the extended warranty would not cover it. So we went with the relatively cheaper (it was still $380 total) option of replacing the plugs. So far so good. But we will be keeping a sharp eye on it over the next few weeks.
So I guess the two sensors that were replaced a few weeks ago we're bad and that was a differ issue altogether.
Still can't get over the cost of replacing plugs on this car. Three hours of labor...not like my old Toyota which I can do in about 15 minutes...
Did this fix your problem or did it return?

05TegoMan

Post by 05TegoMan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I find it funny that nearly everyone with these issues has roughly the same miles and same symptoms with the same Ford bashing but in not one post do any of these people mention whether or not the trans has been serviced routinely. Just food for thought...

dpettigr

Post by dpettigr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 am

Has this ever been resolved? I had major issues with my trans yesterday... it was not going into gear smoothly and it wasn't shifting correctly then not shifting at all. I had a local mechanic look at it and he diagnosed it as this transmission. He said it was about 4grand to fix (replace). I just bought this car in 2009 and only have about 80,000 miles on it. I called the dealer and they said the trans was only warrantied for 60,000 miles... So basically, even though my car isn't paid off it basically is useless until I can come up with $4,000.

I called the dealer and they basically said there was nothing they could do for me. The more I talk to owners of a Taurus X the more I hear this same exact story. This was the first car I purchased new. I have always liked GM but my wife's family are diehard Ford people and talked me into buying this car.

If there is some solution or if Ford has addressed this issue, please let me know!

Thanks.

BillR

Post by BillR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm

dpettigr wrote:Has this ever been resolved? I had major issues with my trans yesterday... it was not going into gear smoothly and it wasn't shifting correctly then not shifting at all. I had a local mechanic look at it and he diagnosed it as this transmission. He said it was about 4grand to fix (replace). I just bought this car in 2009 and only have about 80,000 miles on it. I called the dealer and they said the trans was only warrantied for 60,000 miles... So basically, even though my car isn't paid off it basically is useless until I can come up with $4,000.

I called the dealer and they basically said there was nothing they could do for me. The more I talk to owners of a Taurus X the more I hear this same exact story. This was the first car I purchased new. I have always liked GM but my wife's family are diehard Ford people and talked me into buying this car.

If there is some solution or if Ford has addressed this issue, please let me know!

Thanks.
If you drop back a page or so in this thread you will find a post with links showing GM used this same transmission with GM customers suffering the same results, some worse. GM isn't doing anything about it either.

Lot's of parts sharing going on between various companies for many years.
1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe
1993 Taurus SHO
1994 Taurus Wagon
2000 Taurus SE - 2002 Taurus SEL
2002 Taurus SEL - 2002 Sable
2012 Taurus SEL-White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

dpettigr

Post by dpettigr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 am

Ok,
I wasn't really saying GM was a better option, just that the products I have used the company has stood behind. But I am more interested to see if anything is being done about this or if we are left to deal with a crappy product that can run us $3-4,000?

Thanks in advance

505plum

Post by 505plum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:43 pm

O m g. Not new to this forum. Have been reading it for sometime-first time blogger. Suffice it to say that I am experiencing the same issues as the rest of you. I take my 2008 ford taurus x car to the local ford dealership where I purchased it brand new in 2007. Have mentioned my concerns about this issue a few times during maint checks etc. June = problems. I had had enough! I was merging into traffic and clunk clunk. Drove right to the dealership. I printed out messages from you bloggers handed them to the tech and told them I'd had it. Got a call a couple of hours later.. Of course problem would not occur during their road test but for 200 $+ they reprogrammed the PCM "as possible fix". Here I am again at Target clunk clunk right back to the dealership I go. Transmission tech not available till 8 30 am today. I arrive at 8 10 am. Leave car. Get a call from tech: for 1000 + $ replace turbine shaft speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor. Husband got on phone voicing concern over vehicle that only has 48000 miles on it yet has what we consider to be a major trans issue. Dealership knocked bill down to $750.81.
What do I do??? Obviously this is a manufacturing issue which is why ford basically steeped away from manufacturing these crossovers. Ugh. We are so annoyed and this is a dangerous issue!!! Hopefully this last visit will fix the problem BUT I am very concerned. Has Ford responded to any of you?

P S. I also have paint bubbling on the hood and a rust spot on the lift back

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:50 am

Yesterday my girlfriend, who loves the 08 Taurus x sel awd told me there was a problem with the car. The problem seems to be that the transmission is slipping when she first takes off. I inspected the trans fluid which is full and clean. I took the car for a test drive and when reverse is used its fine. When you fist take off (in drive) if you push the gas before you "feel" the car try to move, the trans will slip? Once moving and the 1-2 shift takes place everything seems fine.
I live in northern Mn and the day the trouble started the temp was -42F
This shouldn't be the problem as the car was ran way more than adequate to warm it up.
The Taurus x has 125000 miles and has been maintained regularly

2008SEL

Post by 2008SEL » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm

My 2008 Taurus also has this problem. It's at 154,000 km/96,000 miles and the check light came on. I got it scanned by my mechanic and it said, Speed senor. He said it needs a solenoid pack. And it would cost $3500 to fix. I took it to Ford and they said it's probably not the solenoid pack, but most likely the the output shaft or the input shaft speed sensors. But will need to diagnose to fix.
So now I have to decide to fix or trade in. These cars are worth nothing now in a trade in. It was great for the last 5 1/2 years I had it. This is the first major problem.
Ford should issue a recall and get this fix, as most owners are experiencing the same issue, so this is a Ford problem, not a consumer maintenance problem.
2008 Taurus SEL

garryoneill

Post by garryoneill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I have a 2008 SEL / AWD and have had the same problems with the car for the last 30,000, i took it to the dealer and they re flashed the PCM, this did not help, Dealer could not replicate the problem.

I had an extended warrenty with Ford, up to 100,000 miles,
Dec 16,2013 the car broke down and had to be taken to the dealer.

Was told the PCM was fried and it also fried the Ignition coils.

As of Jan 17,2014 I am still waiting for a PCM, Seemingly there are non in the Ford Network of dealers and they are on back order.

I am told there are 627 PCM's being shipped this week.

Since the PCM is obviously faulty, why wont Ford recall them ?
And since the original problem with the PCM was 30,000 miles ago , why wont they cover the repair or replacement now.

Poor customer service all around, from Ford Motor Company, 6 weeks for a part, and then you want to charge me full price,

my car has sat for 6 weeks and will likely have Lot Rot before i get it back,

But it is not Ford's Fault ????????????????

But a KIA next time

505plum

Post by 505plum » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 am

This is amazing. It seems every other day since my post that I am receiving notification of posts from other consumers.

jlevesqu

Post by jlevesqu » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 pm

My 2008 Ford Taurus X did the crazy Wrench, airbag, low tire, no speedometer, no mileage (out of gas) thing the other day. Clunked into reverse, and whined when trying to giddy up but couldn't. 90.000 miles on it. I had always had some squirrelly stuff going on with the tranny, but not to this extent. Has anyone gotten a real fix for this problem, other than a replacement transmission? Other than this issue, the car has been pretty good.

bjd214

Post by bjd214 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 am

I have a fully loaded 2008 Taurus X Eddie Bauer AWD. I bought it brand new and paid a bundle for it in 2008. I have been very pleased with the vehicle up until now. The transmission needs to be replaced and it will cost about $4,000 - all out of pocket. The internet is loaded with consumers complaining about problems with the Taurus X tranny and Ford refuses to acknowledge this is PATTERN FAILURE. If they were to acknowledge it, they would have to do a recall and cover the repair / replacement costs. But they choose not to back the loyal consumer on this. I thought I was going to be a life long Ford customer - especially since they were the only US carmaker that didn't take a government bailout. But I will never purchase another Ford vehicle again since they do not stand behind their products.

jlevesqu

Post by jlevesqu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 am

This will be my last Ford. I was going to buy a pickup, next but not now.

gagnieradam

Post by gagnieradam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am

I purchased my 2008 Taurus X in 2010 with about 55k Kilometers (34k miles). On a whim I bought an aftermarket extended warranty that they were promoting when I renewed my AAA membership. Best $3,000 on a warranty I ever spent.

After 4 months one of the heated seats stopped working as did the trunk release sensor. I also developed a rattle in the front tire. Brought it to Ford who advised trunk release sensor was corroded and not covered but fixed bad wheel bearing and heated seat. This was the begging of a long 4 years of ownership. If not for the extended warranty I purchased I would have driven this off a cliff long ago. Below are the issues I've had in the 3 years I have owned it.

1: All heated seats repaired, 2 repaired twice
2: Rear defrost repaired twice, replaced entire back window a third time
3: Wheel bearing replaced 4 times
4: Front dash cluster replaced
5: PCM replaced (main computer)
6: Power steering replaced
7: Sunroof motor replaced
8: Battery replaced at 3 year mark
9: Rear transmission sensor replaced
10: Rear hatch arm adjusted multiple times as it won't close properly.

I have had the car in the shop 9 times for a total of 4 months in the past 3 years. Last night my wife called as she could not leave her parking garage. The car shuttering and surging with the traction control light coming on and the transmission shifting and seizing. After turning it off and restarting she was able to drive it home normally. I am at 111k Kilometers (70k miles) with a warranty that goes to 160k. I am just exhausted in dealing with this. The Ford Dealer I am currently dealing with says that this is a major issue with this model and that she has seen two people in the past year simply leave their Taurus X at the dealership and say they were "done" as they didn't have the money to fix it AGAIN. To date my extended warranty has paid Ford $15,245 on this vehicle. Oh, and the paint on the hood is bubbling off despite weekly car washes! I will not be buying a Ford again.

Mikew

Post by Mikew » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 pm

I have a 2008 Taurus SEL AWD and I just had the wrench, low fuel, low air pressure, ... dash lights and the no power limp home issue tonight. All of the same issues already reported in here. After looking through a large number of threads here and other similar sites while waiting for the AAA tow truck. I found one article where the person had the issue on a Mercury and he simply pulled the positive battery cable which seem to reset the car's ECM systems and the problem. I decided to try it and I removed the positive battery terminal for about 5min and then replaced it. Low and behold the issue was gone. I've driven the car around the area after the 'reset' and it has been just fine. I shouldn't say this but I have never had any issues with my transmission and it has 75K miles on it but I had the fluid changed and flushed at 60K. This is the first time I've seen any of these issues with my car. I'm not sure this is a long term fix or not but it is certainly cheaper than the tow truck and shop. BTW it's a 8mm nut and I have put a wrench in the car if worst comes to worst.

Meg's Dad

Post by Meg's Dad » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 pm

I had the same symptoms coming home one night. The wrench on the dashboard, no speedometer, message center errors, etc. My tranny also wouldn't shift and wouldn't pull the small hill of my driveway. I disconnected the battery terminals (cleaned them as well) for about 1/2 hour. Reattached them and followed the instructions in the owner's manual about resetting the idle after replacing the battery.

The car now drives just fine. In fact, it was better than before as I had a "miss" when the car was started and it now is smooth. No what I don't know is how long it is going to last.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am

If anyone experiences the slip concern or a no shift concern immediately safely pull over and turn off your car and restart it if problem gets better u probably have an electrical component problem ie speed sensor mlp sensor or 1 of several other sensors or processor problem your car is experiencing failures effects management do to a problem the processor has seen and if u restart it and the problem is not seen by processor it doesn't act up if restart helps let your dealer know so the can do some flight recordings and find bad input also electronic parts can cause hard part trans failure

hypiegirl

Post by hypiegirl » Fri May 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recommend contacting NHTSA ,which is a government agency that deals with vehicle safety. Maybe if there are a sufficient amount of us, we may be able to get a recall. I feel that this is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed. It seems to happen on highways, where we are faced with high speeds and constantly moving vehicles. This places us at high risk for something to turn pretty bad in a few seconds. I did some research, as I was very upset to find all this out and how Ford has done absolutely nothing to remedy it. I've had to call out of work, and refuse to take my newborn in the car(which I bought to drive my baby around in a "safe" vehicle). We should not have to keep being ripped off by Ford or random mechanics in our towns because the manufacturer of the vehicle is too damn cheap to address this issue and get it resolved. The link below takes you to the official government site to make a report with the NHTSA.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

I love my Ford Taurus X, but I am seriously considering going back to Nissan because I never had to deal with these problems before and I had over a 100,000 miles on my Nissan. I am under that on my Taurus and it's already acting up.

marcanddulsie

Post by marcanddulsie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:50 am

I am having the same issue with my 2008 Taurus limited. A very nice car. just a troubling problem with the sensor. Any new updates on this?