If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

"CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post Reply
opfor2
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Ventura County, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

"CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by opfor2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 am

Good morning all,

I am new to the forum and to the Ford Taurus platform of vehicles. I just purchased an awesome 2000 Taurus SE with 175k on the meter and I noticed that when I place the vehicle in drive or reverse I hear a "Clunking" noise from what I think is the top of the engine. I think I narrowed it down to the "Dog Bone" engine stabilizer located on top of the motor. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there any special requirements on replacing it? It looks like it would be a simple procedure to replace it.

Thank you,

Danny
2000 Ford Taurus SE


opfor2
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Ventura County, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by opfor2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 pm

No one??
2000 Ford Taurus SE

User avatar
Webmaster
Site Administrator
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 pm
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew
Contact:

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by Webmaster » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23 pm

You can verify that the engine mount is definitely the culprit if you have the hood open and have a friend shift from park into reverse or whatever while you look and listen under the hood (carefully). It could easily be the problem. It's been too long since I owned my 2000 Taurus I can't recall the exact setup but it probably is a fairly straightforward replacement job.
2000 Ford Taurus SEL (excellent car, sold to a friend)
1992 Mercury Sable GS (good car except for the tranny, sold)
Current: 03 F150 King Ranch SuperCrew
Other Fords owned: 02 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, 11 F150 EcoBoost, 07 Ranger, 01 F150 XLT, 98 F150 XLT, 96 Thunderbird LX, 95 Escort GT, 86 Mustang LX, 82 Mustang

opfor2
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Ventura County, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by opfor2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 am

Webmaster wrote:You can verify that the engine mount is definitely the culprit if you have the hood open and have a friend shift from park into reverse or whatever while you look and listen under the hood (carefully). It could easily be the problem. It's been too long since I owned my 2000 Taurus I can't recall the exact setup but it probably is a fairly straightforward replacement job.
Thanks...
2000 Ford Taurus SE

opfor2
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Ventura County, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by opfor2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 am

opfor2 wrote:Good morning all,

I am new to the forum and to the Ford Taurus platform of vehicles. I just purchased an awesome 2000 Taurus SE with 175k on the meter and I noticed that when I place the vehicle in drive or reverse I hear a "Clunking" noise from what I think is the top of the engine. I think I narrowed it down to the "Dog Bone" engine stabilizer located on top of the motor. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there any special requirements on replacing it? It looks like it would be a simple procedure to replace it.

Thank you,

Danny
The proper name fir the item in question is the "Engine Torque Strut"
2000 Ford Taurus SE

opfor2
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Ventura County, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by opfor2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 pm

opfor2 wrote:
opfor2 wrote:Good morning all,

I am new to the forum and to the Ford Taurus platform of vehicles. I just purchased an awesome 2000 Taurus SE with 175k on the meter and I noticed that when I place the vehicle in drive or reverse I hear a "Clunking" noise from what I think is the top of the engine. I think I narrowed it down to the "Dog Bone" engine stabilizer located on top of the motor. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there any special requirements on replacing it? It looks like it would be a simple procedure to replace it.

Thank you,

Danny
The proper name fir the item in question is the "Engine Torque Strut"
UPDATE:

I purchased a after market Engine Torque Strut from NAPA item # Belkcamp # 602-1313 and the "CLUNK" is gone :) However, I still hear noise from the right and left strut assemblies guess this will be my next fix.
2000 Ford Taurus SE

ChartGuy
Regular Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: "CLUNK" when put into drive or reverse

Post by ChartGuy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:52 am

opfor2 wrote:
opfor2 wrote:
opfor2 wrote:Good morning all,

I am new to the forum and to the Ford Taurus platform of vehicles. I just purchased an awesome 2000 Taurus SE with 175k on the meter and I noticed that when I place the vehicle in drive or reverse I hear a "Clunking" noise from what I think is the top of the engine. I think I narrowed it down to the "Dog Bone" engine stabilizer located on top of the motor. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there any special requirements on replacing it? It looks like it would be a simple procedure to replace it.

Thank you,

Danny
The proper name fir the item in question is the "Engine Torque Strut"
UPDATE:

I purchased a after market Engine Torque Strut from NAPA item # Belkcamp # 602-1313 and the "CLUNK" is gone :) However, I still hear noise from the right and left strut assemblies guess this will be my next fix.

The sway bar to sturt links are a common source of noise. Not too much cost and relatively easy to replace.

Wide choice of brands and choices at RockAuto.com

-chart-

Post Reply