If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Ford Taurus flakes in oil

bagwellbill

Ford Taurus flakes in oil

Post by bagwellbill » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:48 am

So, my 2005 ford taurus 3.0 OHV SE had small metal flakes in the oil the other day when I decided to change it. It has 156,xxx miles and it runs pretty decent besides a rough idle but thats the idle sensor valve thing. Also it has an exhaust leak but that's besides the point. It runs great besides the gas mileage and I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, and air filter. It's been crappy since I've got it which was about 7-8 months ago. I sadly haven't replaced the oil up until now. I've put about 7 grand on it since ive got it. I do run it kinda hard sometimes, which I regret now and will no longer do so because, well I'm a delivery driver and my car is my job. I don't have a way to cut the oil filter open to look inside but, I'm thinking it's one of the rod bearings got spun. I have no real reasoning for it but it seems the most common for a hard ran car. it had 149,xxx I think when i got it. so any info would help on what the metal is from. It was more flakes than a sandy kinda metal. Thanks in advance.

-Bill

BillR

Re: Ford Taurus flakes in oil

Post by BillR » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Metal in the oil is not a good thing. You can cut the filter top off with a hacksaw but I don't think you will find much except more metal.

If you spun a rod bearing you would be hearing a higher pitched knocking in the engine. If you spun a main bearing the sound would be a lower pitched knock deeper down in the engine.

Either way the only cure is the engine has to come apart or be replaced or rebuilt. I would never suggest any sort of repair without an engine pull down and soaking the block in a cleaning tank, that's the only way to remove the metal particles from all the oil passages.

Overall the Vulcan 3.0 is a pretty solid engine but from your description your engine probably suffered some abuse and neglect before you got it. Keep in mind many of the "SE" models were rental or lease or fleet cars and many didn't get the best of care.

One option (if the rest of the car is in really good shape) is a used low mileage engine from a junk yard (most of the places offering those put a one year warranty on them). Another option is a rebuilt short block (that gives you a block, crank, rods, pistons and bearings but no heads) and do a rebuild from there.

Or, just give up the project and look for a car with fewer miles that has a service history and have it checked out before you buy.

Lock on this one...
1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe
1993 Taurus SHO
1994 Taurus Wagon
2000 Taurus SE - 2002 Taurus SEL
2002 Taurus SEL - 2002 Sable
2012 Taurus SEL-White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

ChartGuy

Post by ChartGuy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:08 am

bagwellbill wrote:So, my 2005 ford taurus 3.0 OHV SE had small metal flakes in the oil the other day when I decided to change it. It has 156,xxx miles and it runs pretty decent besides a rough idle but thats the idle sensor valve thing. Also it has an exhaust leak but that's besides the point. It runs great besides the gas mileage and I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, and air filter. It's been crappy since I've got it which was about 7-8 months ago. I sadly haven't replaced the oil up until now. I've put about 7 grand on it since ive got it. I do run it kinda hard sometimes, which I regret now and will no longer do so because, well I'm a delivery driver and my car is my job. I don't have a way to cut the oil filter open to look inside but, I'm thinking it's one of the rod bearings got spun. I have no real reasoning for it but it seems the most common for a hard ran car. it had 149,xxx I think when i got it. so any info would help on what the metal is from. It was more flakes than a sandy kinda metal. Thanks in advance.

-Bill
In the normal flow of things, metal flakes will be caught in the filter. And then the questions: Are they metal?
How did they get there and not be in the filter?

Spinning a bearing would only happen in the case of no oil.

If the metal flakes are attracted to a magnet, then they will be from the timing chain, or cam shaft. In either case you would have engine noise. Chain rattles, bearings knock.

I have opened up filters for a long time. I punch a hole in the side with a small screw driver, and angle it to open up a small hole. I then use lever tin snips and cut a spiral in the direction the snips are. Right or left handed cut. Round and round taking maybe eighth inch per round. Then use the snips to cut out a section of filter media. Dip it in kerosene in a cup, then blot it with paper towels on both sides. This gets rid of the liquid oil. Then look at the outside of the media, that is where the catch will be. I would expect to see a few very tiny shiny specs, with 30X magnification. As tiny, I mean just a shiny reflection of light but nothing I could dislodge with a needle and still see.

-chart-

jackusa

Post by jackusa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Time to get rid of it...either that or you will be in for an expensive fix. Metal in the oil is really bad...
2014 Taurus SEL AWD