If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

New to the forum, not to this Ford line...

andysinnh

New to the forum, not to this Ford line...

Post by andysinnh »

So I've been a passive member of this forum, mostly because of the fact our family owns a Ford Freestyle, and it's interesting to see some of the issues discussed here since they're similar to the Freestyle, and much talked about at the www.myfordfreestyle.com site I participate in.

Being in the need for another car for our family, after a long search, I'm picking up on Saturday my "new leftover" 07 Mercury Montego Premier AWD. The goal was to duplicate the drivetrain of the '07 Freestyle, but not necessarily with the need of a rear hatch. I wasn't really thrilled with the changes ford made getting away from the CVT and Haldex system, so I limited my search to the previous design. Most vehicles were used former rentals (especially Freestyles), but I stumbled across a leftover Montego with only 150 miles on it, and in pristine condition even though it's been sitting for a while. It's a Dune Pearl Premier with a sunroof, sirius radio and backup sensors. Sticker was $31,400, and I got the car brand new with full warranty for $23k, which I thought was a decent deal.

I'll be likely posting here more often as I take ownership of the car, and look forward to the success and happiness with this to the same level we are with the Freestyle.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

sleeper357
Former Moderator

Post by sleeper357 »

Welcome andysinnh :)

Dune Pearl is a great color.

2008FordTaurus

Post by 2008FordTaurus »

You made a nice deal. Welcome to the forum. :)
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4X4

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount »

Welcome Andy :D

angel500

Post by angel500 »

Congrats and welcome, Andy.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

So picked up the Montego on Saturday, and i'm very pleased with it. I've attached a photo below, and if you go to my photo site you can see a few more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/andysinnh .

andy

Image[/img]

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Congrats on the new car! Looks great, love that Montego grille.
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

So today was the first real "road trip" for the Montego - turned over 500 miles during the trip - as I drove from the sticks of NH down into downtown Boston to pick up the kid from college and then return. The car did great, and I'm falling more in love with it each time I drive it. :D

But one interesting observation is the comparison between the Montego and the wife's Freestyle - both '07 models both with AWD. The small weight reduction in the sedan over the wagon makes a significan difference in terms of how the CVT and the 3.0 V6 reacts when you hit the loud pedal. While both have adequate power to get up and go (especially when you let the pedal hit the magic button on the floorboard!), but the Montego is especially peppy. Many over in the Freestyle forum have said they like the FS with the CVT, with a few that wished for more power. When you drive the sedan with the same setup, you can perhaps see why a few more HP would be better in the FS. So I might understand why the TaurusX would take advantage of the 3.5L (although the loss of the CVT is a negative) - but for the sedan, the 3.0/CVT/Haldex setup is a gem, and I'm extremely glad I was able to stumble across this leftover '07.

8)

andy