If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Can someone recommend a good fm transmitter?

Discuss anything related to the interior here - e.g. seats, audio system, etc.
jdfet

Can someone recommend a good fm transmitter?

Post by jdfet » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 pm

I would like to play my Zen MP3 player through the factory sterio. The new FM transmitters seem to be to weak. How about a schematic of one?
I have an older one but I would have to modify the snot out of it for it to fit in the car well. The newer Focus/Fusion comes with an audio plug for this doesnt it?
I have a 2007 Five Hundred SEL.

Edsel II

Re: Can someone recommend a good fm transmitter?

Post by Edsel II » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:38 pm

If you have an AUX button on your radio that doesn't do anything, like run a DVD or Nav system, you can use it to run an auxiliary input.

Peripheral Electronics and P.I.E. both make them.
If you need to stick with an FM modulator, I just installed Scosche FM-MOD02 units in both my '02 Mustang and my wife's older Civic - both cars don't have any provision for being able to mount a direct-wire auxiliary input.

The Scosche unit is "hard wired", in that it wires through your antenna (you'll need a Ford antenna adapter), and gives a clean audio signal. It includes a small panel with an illuminated on/off switch, and a headphone jack type input. It works much better than a portable modulator, gives a slight humming noise, but not too bad.

jdfet

Post by jdfet » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 am

BINGO! Thats what I was hoping for. On the Scosche FM-MOD02, any ideas what the hum is about? Have you checked it out? I have access to an osciliscope and a few other tools, I wonder if I can track it down..... just for fun.
Do you have a link by any chance for it?
Thanks again!

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 pm

jdfet, sorry it took a while to get back to you - been out of town for a few weeks.

I got it at Crutchfield -
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02 ... ml?tp=1701

nitro229

Post by nitro229 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 am

Hey guys, I really wanna play my iPod in the car, it has the button for aux just nothing is hooked up to it, like there's not actually a aux it just has the button, is there a way I can just add the wires for cheap?

jsampsell

Post by jsampsell » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 am

nitro - I know they are relatively inexpensive but don't waste your money on FM transmitters for iPod connectivity.

Try something like this: http://www.autosoundcentral.com/Periphe ... pghfd1.htm

Very easy install. Very clean sound due to direct connection. Add a ProClips mount for your iPod and you will be very happy.

It's a little on the pricey side but you won't regret the money spent.

Just my opinion.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm

+1 on what jsampsell said - the Peripheral unit is the way to go. Plus, you can add another input if you like. I run an XM through mine - clean, direct input, with no static.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Tue May 04, 2010 11:05 am

+2 on the PXAMG unit by Peripheral electronics. Have had the unit installed in my Montego for well over a year now and it's been outstanding. Make sure you get it with the wiring harness adapter specific for our Fords and you'll have it installed in 10 minutes. I ran the iPod connector into the center console and leave an old iPod Nano in there as my dedicated tunes source - keeps it powered up and pauses the music where it was when you shut the car off.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

nitro229

Post by nitro229 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:34 pm

I have an 05 hundred tho :/

jsampsell

Post by jsampsell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:25 pm

nitro229 wrote:I have an 05 hundred tho :/
I could have sworn that everything I read about that unit included 2005 but everything I see now shows only 06-07. Peripheral is now owned by PAC and even their website says there isn't anything specific for the 05 Five Hundred. I'd give them a call and talk to them directly. I didn't think there was any difference in the radios for that year but I certainly could be wrong. They have pretty decent customer service. I've called them a few times. Here's a link to their contact us page: http://pac-audio.com/contact.aspx
Jeremy

jsampsell

Post by jsampsell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 am

I couldn't remember what brand the second one was so I didn't say anything about it before but I've used the BrandMotion and the BlitzSafe iPod adapters for my stock radio before I put the Pioneer unit in. Here's links for both.

BrandMotion: http://www.brandmotion.com/ipod.php

BlitzSafe: http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/ford/ford- ... od_39.html

I have/had the Audiophile 6-Disk stereo in my car and the BrandMotion one only works with that radio. It does not work with the base radio for some reason. The BlitzSafe unit works with both radios according to their website.

I originally bought the BrandMotion unit because it was the only thing that I could find that made the factory radio actually control the iPod and show the music information on the radio screen. I ended up buying the BlitzSafe because it actually allowed you to control the music from the iPod OR the radio like the BrandMotion unit. I didn't like using the radio controls because every time you decided to search for a new song or album it started over from the beginning of the music in alphabetical order. Since I have a LOT of music on my iPod it was very frustrating. The BrandMotion unit worked flawlessly otherwise. I just preferred the BlitzSafe unit.

By the way, I've already offered the BlitzSafe unit to nitro229 but if anyone is interested in the BrandMotion unit (even with my noted frustrations) I'll sell it to you very cheap. And, of course, if nitro229 doesn't want the BlitzSafe unit then I'll sell that one as well. Send me a PM if you are interested or know someone that might be interested.
Jeremy

EmmaJean500

Post by EmmaJean500 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:33 am

I may be a little late for this one. Over twenty years ago I purchased one from Radio Shack. I used it :D for a couple of years then stored it. Recently bought , from my Mom's estate, a 2005 FH. My brother gave me his Galaxy S III, but it had no SIM card slot. He suggested using it as a mp3 player. I put the transmitter in the dash g/compartment, strung the wire that plugs into the headphone jack of the Galaxy. I preset the FM frequencies on the radio. Worked perfectly! The volume from the Galaxy does need to be turned down two notches from the highest volume. What was new then is still usable today!
2005 Five Hundred SE (w/CVT; no AWD) 2012 Escape XLT

EmmaJean500

Scoschse FMT4R

Post by EmmaJean500 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

After searching for an FM transmitter decided on this one. Got it at Walmart for $14. Has 20 frequencies to use. Sounds great, and a WHOLE lot better than the Radio Shack. This unit is for a digital signal. Battery life is about 15 hours.I am using a Samsung Galaxy S III phone.
2005 Five Hundred SE (w/CVT; no AWD) 2012 Escape XLT