If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Buzzing Noise from Top Front Window (Center)

dsmith1523

Re: Buzzing Noise from Top Front Window (Center)

Post by dsmith1523 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

SAME PROBLEM with my 2014 Ford Taurus Limited... Bought it 3 weeks ago today, 54 miles on the vehicle. Immediately made the noise when on the highway. I am writing this post from the Ford Service place 1/30/2015 @ 3:11 PM CST...

This is my 3rd visit to the shop for this, the noise does not happen when they drive the vehicle. I changed out new OEM wiper blades thinking they originals had just "dry rotted" in the Texas heat... that did not fix the issue.

I showed this post to the service manager, he said he would have his guy call a "Ford Engineer" to see if they know of the problem... I have my doubts. Deysha, can I PM you? If so, what info do you need from me? The service manager wants to know of a direct line for him to call you about this...

Please HELP!

Sincerely,
Disappointed (Dustin)

pbianconi

Post by pbianconi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:32 pm

I have a 2014 Taurus and noticed this right away. I quickly posted to this forum and was soon contacted by the mfg rep named Deysha (territory Ford customer service rep for Curry Ford in Frankfort, Illinois) and she made arrangements for a rental car until they fixed it. I brought to the dealer and they could not hear it, even after several times of driving it. A week went by.

I was asked to come and demo the car with them which I did. After two minutes of driving I heard it and the mechanic heard it. The mechanic said "oh is that what you were talking about?" He said he was listening for something much more obvious. It was VERY obvious to me.

They ordered a new cowl for the front under the hood, just under the windshield. You can tell the fasteners were not looking as secure as you would think they should be. Once they ordered and replaced it, this seem to "almost take the noise away 95% but I still hear it once in a while (faint). I let him know and he was happy to revisit it next time I bring in for an oil change.

They factory rep was nice enough to comp me 3 years/or 45k miles of oil changes for my troubles which is a "maintenance plan agreement" and covers more than just oil changes.. Most of all wear items like brakes, windshield wipers and the list goes on. So I was very happy about this part of it.

The dealer told me the reason for the slight noise now could be caused by it needing a little more sealant which hold's the cowl securely into place. He did mention they have had the same issues in 2010 with one line of their cars and he now he remembered.

Like I said it isn't 100% but it took all the annoying part of the noise away and got it to perhaps 90% and it is much quieter.

I hope this helps.

For reference:
Deysha (territory Ford customer service rep for Curry Ford in Frankfort, Illinois)
Joe at Curry Ford Frankfort, IL (service manager I believe)
The last 8 of my VIN is EG152446

My youtube video with the noise (perfectly obvious to me)
You can read about someone with a SHO in the comments
http://youtu.be/cJjjN8Bmy0U
Last edited by pbianconi on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jiminok

Post by Jiminok » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Traded up this weekend to a 2014 Taurus Limited from a 2010 Dodge Caliber. Man are we in love with this vehicle! Hated the Caliber nearly the whole time we owned it...

Anyway, discovered the "bee" buzzing sound on the way home Saturday and it does change with the wind direction and speed. This is an unacceptable noise to the "Governor". I'm kind of hard hearing and usually just turn up the radio to drown out road or other noise. Today we got out and about and it was worse - as mentioned earlier in this thread we also thought it was the (passenger side) windshield wiper but then figured it to be the cowl between the hood and windshield.

Since this thread has been running since the 6th Gen of the Taurus came out I'm guessing that Ford isn't redesigning it...that's a shame! We are so in love with this vehicle despite this flaw...minor in nature until you get out on the highway and hit a headwind.

I will be checking back from time to time to see if their is any OEM progress but in the meantime will have to figure out some sort of "fix" that the better half can live with...she already shot down my silicone "tack-weld" idea... :roll:

pbianconi

Post by pbianconi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:16 pm

Check the post right before your most recent post

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 am

dsmith1523 wrote:SAME PROBLEM with my 2014 Ford Taurus Limited... Bought it 3 weeks ago today, 54 miles on the vehicle. Immediately made the noise when on the highway. I am writing this post from the Ford Service place 1/30/2015 @ 3:11 PM CST...
Welcome and thank you for the PM, dsmith1523! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Jiminok wrote:Traded up this weekend to a 2014 Taurus Limited from a 2010 Dodge Caliber. Man are we in love with this vehicle! Hated the Caliber nearly the whole time we owned it...

Anyway, discovered the "bee" buzzing sound on the way home Saturday and it does change with the wind direction and speed. ...
Let me get this escalated for you as well, Jiminok. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.
pbianconi wrote:I have a 2014 Taurus and noticed this right away. I quickly posted to this forum and was soon contacted by the mfg rep named Deysha and she made arrangements for a rental car until they fixed it. I brought to the dealer and they could not hear it, even after several times of driving it. A week went by. ...
Thank you for the mention, pbianconi! Your CSM is who arranged this stuff for you. I simply escalated this for you to help get it resolved.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

Jiminok

Post by Jiminok » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Update...dropped the car off yesterday with the local Ford dealer, only by way of proximity, not by preference, and they test drove and agree it's a flawed part that needs replaced. Ordered and scheduled to do the warranty work next week along with an undisclosed recall...

Thank you, Deysha, for the offer...glad you're in here helping us Blue Oval fans!

dsmith1523

Post by dsmith1523 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:59 pm

My dealership said they "talked to engineering" at Ford and they have not heard of this issue. They also said that my video of the noise and these forums do not count as evidence, they need to witness the problem in person. They have test driven the car twice, once by shop employees who could not get up to highway speeds, and then once with the shop manager and myself.

My dealership said that they ordered wiper arms, and will start there by replacing them. Doesn't sound like that is the issue to me, but..... what do I know right?

I will be driving around Texas next week with the VP of my company. This will really be awkward and embarrassing. The only way to drown out the noise is to turn up the radio.

-Dustin

pbianconi

Post by pbianconi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:36 pm

dsmith1523 wrote:My dealership said they "talked to engineering" at Ford and they have not heard of this issue. They also said that my video of the noise and these forums do not count as evidence, they need to witness the problem in person. They have test driven the car twice, once by shop employees who could not get up to highway speeds, and then once with the shop manager and myself.

My dealership said that they ordered wiper arms, and will start there by replacing them. Doesn't sound like that is the issue to me, but..... what do I know right?

I will be driving around Texas next week with the VP of my company. This will really be awkward and embarrassing. The only way to drown out the noise is to turn up the radio.

-Dustin

DUSTIN
Let me hear your video, Post it. here is mine: http://youtu.be/cJjjN8Bmy0U

If you have the same FLUTTERING plastic sound that drives you nuts like mine did, Do what I did when they said they couldn't hear it after driving it for 3 days and wasting my gas.... I told the guy to get in the car and I DROVE. Then soon as I heard withing literally 3 minutes, he said that he didn't hear anything again (turns out he was hard of hearing do you believe that??) I practically shoved his face in the windshield and then he said.. "oh I hear that now, I was listening for something more evident and louder".

No sooner I whipped the car around and made a beeline to the service manager and said "why would you give a guy a job to listen for a noise when he was hard of hearing?" I then said HE HEARS IT NOW, please fix it! The mechanic said he seemed to remember an issue like this in 2010 on another model and it was a cowl which is directly under the windshield. He ordered it while I still was in the paid rental I was provided and when I picked up the car I the noise was a non issue.

I looked under there when he said it and noticed the fasteners were made of flimsy anchor material that were actually a little loose and you can see a gap where air was sneaking in between.

Whoever that service adviser was- skip over him and go to the owner if you have to.. and let him know you have a known issue that has been RECTIFIED by a service manager of CURRY FORD in Frankfort IL. There is a Taurus owner just like you that had the exact same issue (use my name BIANCONI) with the exact same noise, and it was fixed by replacing and thoroughly re-sealing the cowl and also the rubber strips that are on both sides of the hood at the windshield area.

Don't take that for an answer, use my name and tell them to look at my case that was corrected by a factory rep who contacted me on this forum.. I will say this... My issue is not 100% but now I can only hear a very faint instance of it and not often enough for it to even be a bother. Prior to that service, it was not tolerable and I told them they could keep the car until it was fixed.. I couldn't stand it. The factory rep was on my side.

See my previous post and call a ford area rep if you have to.. they will pull my case and fix your issue like that did mine and they made me happy.

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46 am

Jiminok wrote:Update...dropped the car off yesterday with the local Ford dealer, only by way of proximity, not by preference, and they test drove and agree it's a flawed part that needs replaced. Ordered and scheduled to do the warranty work next week along with an undisclosed recall...

Thank you, Deysha, for the offer...glad you're in here helping us Blue Oval fans!
You’re very welcome, Jiminok!
dsmith1523 wrote:My dealership said they "talked to engineering" at Ford and they have not heard of this issue. They also said that my video of the noise and these forums do not count as evidence, they need to witness the problem in person. They have test driven the car twice, once by shop employees who could not get up to highway speeds, and then once with the shop manager and myself. ...
Please stay in touch with your CSM until everything has been addressed for you, dsmith1523.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford