If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

SEL Radio Upgrade & add backup camera

evadave
Vehicle: 2011 SEL

SEL Radio Upgrade & add backup camera

Post by evadave » Wed May 22, 2019 3:56 pm

I have a 2011 SEL and want to upgrade the radio. I want to add a backup camera. The current radio doesn't have an LCD screen. The limited and SHO seem to have an upgraded system in them. I have seen several of the upgraded ones on ebay being salvaged from wrecked cars. Is it possible to install the upgraded one into an SEL? Other than it needing to be programmed, what else would be needed to make the swap?

Jake_Blues
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: SEL Radio Upgrade & add backup camera

Post by Jake_Blues » Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 pm

there are threads on these topics already here - just hit up the search.

evadave

Post by evadave » Thu May 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I have searched Radio Upgrade and have gone through all of the results but none of them answered my question. That is why I posted this.

I don't want to buy a Scoshe dash kit and an aftermarket radio. My current radio has SYNC. I am trying to find out if I can take the radio and associated components out of another Taurus that has the upgraded radio with the Larger LCD screen and have it work in my SEL.

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by mope » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am

Yes. You should be able to add backup to your existing system. Hardware and software (forscan) upgrades required.

Lots of threads out there on this as Jake says.

evadave

Post by evadave » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 pm

My radio has SYNC but doesn't have an LCD display. As such, I don't have a way to display the feed from the backup camera. Can I take the upgraded radio from a Limited or SHO that has the LCD screen and replace the current one? Other than the using forscan, what else is needed?

Jake_Blues
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Post by Jake_Blues » Fri May 24, 2019 11:11 pm

wolverine2898
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Tarurus Sel

Post by wolverine2898 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 am

On my 2011 Sel my camera is in the left corner of my rear view mirror. It actually a piece of crap. Most of the time it out of focus. And when it does work it looks your on some kind of runway! For night safety backing up I added a very bright off road Led light mounted under the bumper pointed out. My backup lights on this car is very weak sort like a guy holding a flashlight with almost dead battery's! My radio is real fancy radio. Has a bunch of bells & whistles. I don't use it much don't want to get in a car wreck fiddle with that.