If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Power Rear Sunshade

Saluki1998

Power Rear Sunshade

Post by Saluki1998 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Ok, it has been a while since I posted here. I need some help.

2010 Taurus SHO 35,200 mi.

I was out today and when I got back in my car at the store and put the car in reverse the sunshade went up about ¾ of the way. I pressed the button to put it down and it went down and then back up 100% deployed. When I pressed the button again it went down all he way and them back up to ¾ deploy.

This is a bit odd as I have used this feature of my 2010 Taurus SHO about a handful of times (definitely less than 10).

Near as I can tell there is an interlock between the position of the sunshade and the gear shift.

If the sunshade = deployed, then when the car is put in reverse it automatically stows it.
If the sunshade = stowed, then when the car is put in reverse it still tries t stow it.
This is probably a safety feature, but if you are working the actuation system every time the car I put in reverse, you are asking to wear something out. That is jut a bad design.

Again, I thing the position is off. It thinks ¾ deploy is stowed. My guess is since it works every time you put the car in reverse, it finally jut wore past the stops or something.

It is a bit frustrating on a $45k car to have something this trivial go wrong and cause a genuine safety hazard as at ¾ deploy it is hard to see out the back window and at night it is almost impossible. I am going to take it in tomorrow (taking a day off of work to do it) to see if they can fix it.

Wish me luck

If anyone has some guidance for me, or something I can do in the mean time, please let me know.
Saluki1998

Currently:
2010 Taurus SHO - Silver

Saluki1998

Re: Power Rear Sunshade

Post by Saluki1998 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

Update:
Went in today and they told me they would have to order a new sunshade and motor. Parts will not be in till Wednesday (more time off of work).

Not quite the news I was hoping for, but, not bad either. I just do not like driving the car with the safety concern of not seeing out the back window very well.

I still do not know how the mechanism works, but as a mechanical engineer and system integrator I can tell you how it can be done to avoid this issue.

I do not know what holds the shade in the stow position (down for the non engineering folks). It could be a clutch in the actuator motor, could be a spring or a clip.

The safety feature of retracting when the car is put in reverse is something to be commended. The implementation needs work.

Here is what I would do.

The shade should have a position sensor. This could be as simple as a switch that is depressed when the shade is retracted or as complex as an RVDT to determine the position of the motor. (I'd opt for the switch, it is cheaper and easier to implement with software.

A simple ground/open switch will suffice.
GROUND = STOW
OPEN = DEPLOY
(Note that DEPLOY could be any position above which the switch opens to full deploy)

Now for the logic:
If the switch reads ground then when the car is put in reverse the motor will not try to retract.
If the switch reads open then when the car is put in reverse, the motor will retract the shade.

Failure modes of the switch:
Failed to ground
If the shade is down, there is no issue
If the shade is up then it is noticeable by the driver and action can be taken

Failed to Open
If the shade is down, the motor tries to retract it, if the computer does not see a ground within X seconds, a failure message can be posted or recorded
If the shade is up, the motor will retract it, if the computer does not see a ground within X seconds; a failure message can be posted or recorded.

No safety issues and no undue wear on the actuator motor or whatever is locking it in position.

Just my two cents if Ford is listening.
Saluki1998

Currently:
2010 Taurus SHO - Silver

Saluki1998

Post by Saluki1998 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 pm

They replaced the power rear sunshade assembly today. It took 2 hours and there are no issues now. Covered under warranty.

My only complaint is that they worked in the back window area and they got hand prints and grease prints on the rear window and they did not clean it. If that is my worst complaint, I’ll get over it.

Going out to clean the rear window now.
Saluki1998

Currently:
2010 Taurus SHO - Silver

ctrcbob

Post by ctrcbob » Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Like you, I don't often use my rear power sunshade. Mostly when I park with the rear of the car facing the sun. Because I live mostly in Hot Sunny Florida, and also because I spend a lot of time in Hot Sunny Sunny Roswell, I have dark tint on the rear window and on the two rear side windows. Because of the tint, I really don't need the power sunshade, but I do use it once in a while.
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield NY (A Quiet Suburb)
Roswell NM (Alien Central)

2010 Ford Taurus SHO
2011 Lincoln MKZ

Saluki1998

Post by Saluki1998 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 pm

One more thing,

When I was cleaning the rear window I found that the dealership did not lock the inerior panels into place, I had to go back and have them do it. Hey, I’m not going to do it and break one of those stupid clips. Then I have to pay for it.
Saluki1998

Currently:
2010 Taurus SHO - Silver

jkd

Post by jkd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm

My 2010 Taurus Limited (63,000 miles) just experienced the same issue. Took it to the dealer and was told that the motor, shade and supports were a single unit and would cost $875 to replace! Could that information possibly be correct???

I.T.guy

Post by I.T.guy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 am

jkd wrote:My 2010 Taurus Limited (63,000 miles) just experienced the same issue. Took it to the dealer and was told that the motor, shade and supports were a single unit and would cost $875 to replace! Could that information possibly be correct???
I would hope that part of the cost was installation.
'13 SHO,Green Gem
'12 Flex Limited, White Platinum
'09 Marinar Voga, Black

Saluki1998

Post by Saluki1998 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 pm

jkd wrote:My 2010 Taurus Limited (63,000 miles) just experienced the same issue. Took it to the dealer and was told that the motor, shade and supports were a single unit and would cost $875 to replace! Could that information possibly be correct???
Maybe, I was not changed for it because I was still under warranty. I also have purchased the extended warranty (Up to 125,000 miles, 7 years) and it has come in handy. I have gotten my money out of it.
Saluki1998

Currently:
2010 Taurus SHO - Silver

glovergs

Post by glovergs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 am

Seems like an issue with the SHOs. Our Taurus also started having this same issue a week ago. Took it to the dealer and was also informed of a total replacement of $450 + labor. If anyone has a fix to just keep the window shade down would be great. I think we have used it under 10 times and really don't need to have it working at this time.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Orlaco

Post by Orlaco » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

It's not a cure for what ails you today....but rest easy that electric tinting windows are on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiT9U7R8 ... r_embedded

I.T.guy

Post by I.T.guy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Seen this a few years ago in Popular Mechanics. Although, it may be expensive at first, it is way cool!
'13 SHO,Green Gem
'12 Flex Limited, White Platinum
'09 Marinar Voga, Black

glovergs

Post by glovergs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am

Has anyone tried to replace the reverse switch that is causing this problem, or is it internal?

BullBill

Post by BullBill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

From the 2010 shop manual:
Pressing the sunshade switch sends a ground signal to the sunshade module. The sunshade module performs an auto up/down operation depending on the position of the sunshade. Pressing the sunshade switch again will cause the sunshade module to reverse direction of the sunshade. When the transmission selector lever is placed in the REVERSE position, the sunshade module receives a voltage signal from the backup lamp relay and the sunshade is lowered. But - if the sunshade module senses the motor current draw has gone beyond 2.5A (obstruction), the sunshade module will remove power to the motor and the sunshade will stop.
Seems like most of the problems described in the shop manual are due to mechanical binding, bent or damaged components. Suppose this may be the reason that a new sunshade assembly is the common solution to most problems. (Although this does not appear to be what any of you are experiencing, the only simple test we can perform is to put the tranny in R and see if the backup lamps are on. If not, explore the problem in the backup lamp unit.)
2010 Silver Taurus Limited Rapid Spec 303B
Previous Fords: 1959 Galaxie, '62 Falcon Wagon, 64 T-Bird convertible, '93 Taurus, '95 & '98 Ranger pickups

nxdaniel

Post by nxdaniel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 am

I also have a 2010 Ford Taurus Limited and when I put it in reverse the rear sunshade vibrating up and down making a loud noise for about 15 seconds and then stops I took it to the dealer and the service department told me its a bad motor and it would cost about $800.00 to fix it and he also said maybe I should think about trading it (maybe I need a new service department).

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 am

nxdaniel wrote:I also have a 2010 Ford Taurus Limited and when I put it in reverse the rear sunshade vibrating up and down making a loud noise for about 15 seconds and then stops I took it to the dealer and the service department told me its a bad motor and it would cost about $800.00 to fix it and he also said maybe I should think about trading it (maybe I need a new service department).
Hello nxdaniel,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend speaking to your Service Manager about this. He/she is in the best position to look into this for you. He/she can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

HWYStar

Post by HWYStar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I recently discovered that the sunshade is really helpful when someone with bright headlights is behind me. Before I discovered that use, I hardly ever used it.
2012 Taurus SHO Tuxedo Black w/Performance Package

esfoad

Post by esfoad » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 am

Good idea! Never thought about that.
Currently:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO Cinnamon on Umber/Black Fully Loaded Bone Stock
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Vert Crystal Red Metallic on Tan

Domain

Post by Domain » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 am

HWYStar wrote:I recently discovered that the sunshade is really helpful when someone with bright headlights is behind me. Before I discovered that use, I hardly ever used it.
The electrochromatic mirror doesn't help enough with that?

I've been having a hell of a time lately with bad HID setups... but coming off the outside mirrors. I'm kind of screwed because NYS won't let me tint my windows to fight this...
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

esfoad

Post by esfoad » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Many times the mirror does not dim enough to make it comfortable. This is a good alternative.
Currently:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO Cinnamon on Umber/Black Fully Loaded Bone Stock
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Vert Crystal Red Metallic on Tan

Domain

Post by Domain » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:35 pm

That's a shame, but I'm glad to hear it's a working solution!
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD