If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2013 Sho..First Impression Driving In The Snow

Orlaco

2013 Sho..First Impression Driving In The Snow

Post by Orlaco » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Not good as expected (here in Reading, PA).

Obviously all snow covered roads are NOT the same (depending on volume and temps)...so I'll follow up this post after more experiences.

---The stopping distance was very bad. Almost slid thru a 4-way stop and I was only going 35 mph when I started braking fairly far from the stop sign.

--Turning in the snow wasn't good either. The front end, with the wheels turned, felt like it was being push from the back...causing the car to go straight many feet before the vehicle actually started going in the desired direction.

--I felt in 'control' of the car driving on the roads before dealing with a turn into a parking spot and a stop sign.

Maybe the roads were more ice than snow.. ..so in the future I may have better results.

---------------

For the record... ....I drove the car in the snow just to do it. I have ZERO need to take it out in such conditions but I've never owned an all-wheel drive and was just curious....

dmharvey79

Re: 2013 Sho..First Impression Driving In The Snow

Post by dmharvey79 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am

You just described 99% of vehicles when driving on slick roads.

Orlaco

Post by Orlaco » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

dmharvey79 wrote:You just described 99% of vehicles when driving on slick roads.
If that's the case then I guess the '04 Monte Carlo SS (super-charged) I drove for the previous nine years falls into the 1 pecent. I never had an issue stopping or starting in similar conditions (compared to what I experienced with this 2013 Sho). I would have thought that a new all wheel drive would out perform an older front wheel drive (braking being the obvious exception).

Oh, I also have a company vehicle that must fall into that 1% too.

Maybe I could have clarified that I was making comparisons to previous vehicles I've driven in similar conditions.... ...but really, why would I be complaining if I didn't KNOW that there was better performers out there (yes, I know....only one percent)?

I.T.guy

Post by I.T.guy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 am

Here in Michigan, driving in the winter can be a challenge. Mostly caused by other drivers. However, the SHO performed better than expected. With AWD, the car seemed to obey my throttle demands in the conditions that warrant save driving on slippery roads. Whether it is the best car on the road or not in the winter is a very personalized opinion. I’m just saying the car did a great job staying on the road!
'13 SHO,Green Gem
'12 Flex Limited, White Platinum
'09 Marinar Voga, Black

Onix1

Post by Onix1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am

@ Orlaco.. Just a little curious as to what tires are you using on your Sho ? All Seasons or Summer tires.. : )

TBCalgary

Post by TBCalgary » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am

The tires are key. My SHO came with summer tires, so I bought a set of Blizzaks and what a difference! I find this the best car I have ever driven in the snow! It is better than my wife's ML 350 (with snow tires).

Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am

So my 2014 SHO was absolutely fantastic in the worst Michigan winter I have ever experienced. But let's remember it's All Wheel Drive, not all Wheel Stop. Ice is still ice. :)

fastonion

Post by fastonion » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 am

My '13 drove just fine in the snow this past winter...it's all in the tires.
2013 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
2000 Explorer XLS

2012 Taurus SEL (traded), 2009 Taurus SEL (traded), 2007 Taurus SEL (traded), 2004 Taurus SEL (traded), 2001 Taurus SE (traded), 1998 Taurus SE (sold)

drkbul
Vehicle: 13 Taurus SHO non-pp tux blk

Post by drkbul » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:41 am

OK so I live and grew up in the great AK. First learned to drive in the middle of the winter. I have owned many cars and trucks here and I say that other than the stability control throwing me in the ditch, once in a 10' fusion sport, my 13' SHO is very fun to drive. Damn stability control. Now I am not a slow driver. I did put some Pirelli scorpion winter tires on. This is my second winter with my bull and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have had a 08' Taurus also with awd that wasn't as sure footed as this one. When I hit the gas it's very peidictable, slides when I want and stops when I say. So if you see my powersliding around a turn doing 95mph in a snow storm, throw me a peace sign and please get out on my way, I'm just having a little fun. The brains behind AK Road Rage. The most beautiful, dangerous, illegal, regular people race in the world.

Fieryass
Vehicle: 2015 taurus sel

Post by Fieryass » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Yes the secret is to brake early and increase your following distance. Snow tires are essential but even they won't compensate for an incompetent driver that insists on driving beyond their capabilities in the snow and ice.