If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Really Bad Smell (particularly when fan is on)

Ford Prefect

Really Bad Smell (particularly when fan is on)

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:47 pm

I don't believe this is a problem with the car per se but it's still driving me round the bend. For about a month now there has been the most horrendous smell in my 2014 Taurus SHO. You have to drive with the windows open if the fan is on! Which isn't good in -15 weather. Obviously something has got into the car somewhere and died. I have looked all over and under the vehicle but cannot find anything. Sounds funny I know but it really stinks. Anyone got any ideas?

DMac_slowcar

Re: Really Bad Smell (particularly when fan is on)

Post by DMac_slowcar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 pm

I doubt something got inside the cabin and died. Check around the cabin air intake.

warment

Post by warment » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:49 am

Yep. I would remove the cowl and make sure that the area around the fresh air intake for the HVAC system is draining properly. You don't hear water sloshing around when you drive do you?
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 pm

No, I don't hear anything sloshing about.

00tec-satx

Post by 00tec-satx » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Does it smell like a natural gas leak? Sulfur?

Widetracker

Post by Widetracker » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:22 am

My 2014 SHO also came with a nasty smell from cabin air intake. Isolated it to the cowl trim piece at base of windshield. I've also found a perfect match for this smell; a plastic bag of water softener salt! A musty, nasty smell it is. I've washed the piece ( from the outside) and flooded the intake area with Frebreeze and it helped for a short time. That also revealed that both side drains were open, the drains are in the aft front wheel wells as I recall. My guess is it's the composition of the rubber/plastic material of the cowl piece. It's only evident during 60 f or warmer weather. I plan to take it up with the dealer once the weather warms up here in Michigan. Does anyone know how to remove this intake cowl piece? Seems there are some holding tabs, but since it's rubber I would'nt want to tear any off $$!
I'm new to this board - also plan to post my mods and experiences using 3m Dinoc carbon fiber film to trim and interior items.

2014 SHO - Tuxedo Black
9600 miles
Manuf. 8/13

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Widetracker wrote:My 2014 SHO also came with a nasty smell from cabin air intake. Isolated it to the cowl trim piece at base of windshield. I've also found a perfect match for this smell; a plastic bag of water softener salt! A musty, nasty smell it is. I've washed the piece ( from the outside) and flooded the intake area with Frebreeze and it helped for a short time. That also revealed that both side drains were open, the drains are in the aft front wheel wells as I recall. My guess is it's the composition of the rubber/plastic material of the cowl piece. It's only evident during 60 f or warmer weather. I plan to take it up with the dealer once the weather warms up here in Michigan. Does anyone know how to remove this intake cowl piece? Seems there are some holding tabs, but since it's rubber I would'nt want to tear any off $$!
I'm new to this board - also plan to post my mods and experiences using 3m Dinoc carbon fiber film to trim and interior items.
Let me know when you bring it in to your dealer, Widetracker.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

Widetracker

Post by Widetracker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Will do. Any insight on how it can be taken off the car would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers, Dave

2014 SHO
Diamond Black

Guzzi SVT

Post by Guzzi SVT » Mon May 11, 2015 2:41 pm

It could be debris in your HVAC intake cowling. I found my drain hole full of wet leave and seed pods. If you get a light and look beneath the cowling for the two oval rubber drain boots and squeeze them the long way the debris may fall out, otherwise you'll need to remove all the cowling to clean them, I just took mine out. You might be able to remove and clean them from inside the engine compartment.

Let me know more about the drains in the fender wells. I get water in the hvac fan if I go through a car wash with strong quarter panel blast