If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

High Beams not working!

High Beams not working!

Post by Crookkeeper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:16 am

So this problem started about 3 months ago, i hit the MFS for the high beams and nothing happened, the next time they worked fine. Now, as of 4 days ago the high beams do not work at all. All fuses are fine and i can hear an audible "click" under the dash but nothing from the shutters in the headlights themselves. First I referred to the owners manual to look at both fuse/relay panels in the car, the underhood one does not match the illustrations in the manual. In the manual it shows relay 63 controlling the high beam operation and in my car there isn't even a relay or connectors in spot 63. I have emailed and called Ford and all they have to say is "Make an appointment with your local dealer" I am perfectly capable of fixing this, but Ford assumes no responsibility not giving the proper locations for fuses and relays in order to try to locate a possible issue. Please, if anyone has seen this issue or has any insight i would greatly appreciate it. I refuse to go to a Stealership when i am sure the issue is within my skillset.

Re: High Beams not working!

Post by m98cox » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:00 pm

I've noticed this on my 2010 SHO, since day one, 5 years ago (HID). I have never been able to replicate it on demand.
I have noticed that when the auto high beam is on, the car takes care of high beam on its own with no issues. This leads me to believe the issue is in the high beam control stalk/switch.
I've casually mentioned it to the dealer, who gave me a deer in the headlight stare. I also asked Ford about it, who also said they had no reports of the issue.
Of interest, with these HID lights, I understand there is actually a shutter that moves down to block the top portion of the bulb to effectively go low beam so as not to blind oncoming traffic. It isn't like the old bulb set up where you had a low beam bulb and a high beam bulb.
2010 SHO 402B, Cinnamon, black/black, ACC, 20"

Post by gvloh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 am

I've noticed a similar problem in my '12... The high beams just don't seem brighter than the low beams...
2012 Ford Taurus SHO MiB2

Post by jmr061 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 pm

gvloh wrote:I've noticed a similar problem in my '12... The high beams just don't seem brighter than the low beams...
They aren't brighter....they are projection headlamps. A shutter opens up to allow more light output on highbeam....the same bulb is used.
2016 Edge Sport
I was looking over your site and wanted to say, thank you for all the info. - CrownedKing 11/2015

Vehicle: Ford Taurus SHO

Post by Tezcatlipoca » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

So is there a fix for this problem? I have swapped out the switch on the column. What else can be done?