If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2012 SHO Taillights chrome trim fading/peeling help

MDS2017

2012 SHO Taillights chrome trim fading/peeling help

Post by MDS2017 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:25 pm

I just bought a 2012 V6 turbocharged SHO with 42,000 miles. Unfortunately when I bought it the chrome trim around taillights were peeled and yellowed, not pretty. Ford said its a defect so I asked body shops if its fixable with scuffing and chrome paint. Apparently not a good idea at all. New taillights from ford installed are 1,000 and would think the same thing would happen. Perhaps after market taillights with the hope that the company/manufacturer uses a deferent chrome. First choice would be a sand, primer chrome paint option....Any help/insight on fixing or replacing would be a huge help.
Thanks!
MIKE

The Bone

Re: 2012 SHO Taillights chrome trim fading/peeling help

Post by The Bone » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:44 am

Sorry to say I have replaced my tailights 3 times. Currently trying to get them fixed again. They only come with the chrome trim on the SHO. All the other models dont have the chrome.

SHO134
Vehicle: 2012 Taurus SHO

Post by SHO134 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:08 pm

I bought my 2012 SHO w/ 47k miles on it last month from CarMax. I didn't notice the peeling when I test drove it, or when I looked it over the day I came back to buy it until after I got home and went to a store with bright parking lot lights. From that point it stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and I looked back in the ad photo for it and saw it was there but not quite as bad, so I suspect that the night I came into buy it they accidentally peeled off some more of it while washing it for me before I left.

I called the CarMax service department the next day, and they had me bring it in. I read up on the issue beforehand and went into the appointment knowing that all SHO's built those years had the peeling tail lights, and I expected they'd replace them. I figured the replacements would eventually start peeling just the same and then I'd be out of luck again at some point, but thought whatever. Then the CarMax guy told me they were on the fence about whether they should have to replace the entire assembly on both sides, inside and outside lens, and suggested there should be some cosmetic damage to a 4-5 year old car, but then instead offered to have their paint shop take the car for a day, and fix it. I was skeptical they would do a bad job, but it was decent. When I left it they took out the lights, sent them to a paint shop who then stripped the chrome off and painted the plastic to match the car's paint job (black).

I thought at first it might make the SHO look less sharp, but it somehow looks better eith the tail light chrome trim painted black. If I were you I'd go to Maaco or another paint shop and ask if they'll quote you a price on doing the same thing to your SHO tail lights. I can't imagine they'd ask for much more than $275 to do it. Good luck with yours. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine so far.

Best,

Sean

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am

I was informed by Ford that i have to pay for my taillights because of the chrome pealing. These have already been replaced 3 times. Going to replace than with limited ones so I don't have to spend $400 every year. This is crap Ford!!!!!

Fabe94
Vehicle: 2012

Post by Fabe94 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 pm

The Bone wrote:I was informed by Ford that i have to pay for my taillights because of the chrome pealing. These have already been replaced 3 times. Going to replace than with limited ones so I don't have to spend $400 every year. This is crap Ford!!!!!
Good luck, the limited'a tailights also peel :( I'm debating if I should paint the chrome with a metallic paint or something similar

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:07 am

I purchased my new set of taillights because Ford wouldn't stand behind them :(
I did however inspect them before I would except them. I had them take them out and make sure they were perfect. I have a good relationship with the parts guy so He was easy to work with. i sent a couple back because they weren't perfect. I sent one back 3 times. I told them that if it wasn't perfect that they can send me every one they had in the warehouse till I find a good one. I did however finely get one that was perfect. I do however bring him a case of beer every once in a while. LOL
They were easy to change out so I would just do it yourself. The lights were $550 Take your time to line them up correctly and it's not that big of a job.

txtowguy
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO

Post by txtowguy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 am

I just bought a 2010 SHO a few days ago and mine are doing the same thing. mine has 93k miles on it