If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Front Subframe failure!

jimbbski

Front Subframe failure!

Post by jimbbski » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 pm

My mothers 1995 Taurus started to make a strange knocking noise yesterday as she was driving it. I first checked out the sway bar end links as they have broken before but they were all good. I then drove it myself and heard the noise, which was not constant but intermitent.
Put the car up on ramps and found that the left rear subframe body mount had failed due to rust! Now the car has less then 50K miles and was always garage kept and not dirven in snow much at all but this mount rusted from the inside out. I would guess the pass. side is not long for this world as well. The car is a very good runner, still rides great, everything works. The only thing wrong is it leaks a bit of oil and I have to refill the coolant recovery bottle every once in a while. Mostly due to the many short trips the car gets. The body is also very rust free but does have the small door dings, etc any car will get over 15 years.

Due to the age of the car and the amount of work required to repair this, if it can even be repaired I am going to sell this as a parts car.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Taurus?

forddieseltech

Re: Front Subframe faliure!

Post by forddieseltech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:39 pm

jimbbski wrote:My mothers 1995 Taurus started to make a strange knocking noise yesterday as she was driving it. I first checked out the sway bar end links as they have broken before but they were all good. I then drove it myself and heard the noise, which was not constant but intermitent.
Put the car up on ramps and found that the left rear subframe body mount had failed due to rust! Now the car has less then 50K miles and was always garage kept and not dirven in snow much at all but this mount rusted from the inside out. I would guess the pass. side is not long for this world as well. The car is a very good runner, still rides great, everything works. The only thing wrong is it leaks a bit of oil and I have to refill the coolant recovery bottle every once in a while. Mostly due to the many short trips the car gets. The body is also very rust free but does have the small door dings, etc any car will get over 15 years.

Due to the age of the car and the amount of work required to repair this, if it can even be repaired I am going to sell this as a parts car.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Taurus?
This was a common problem on the 2nd gen taurus's , the best bet is take it to a dealer and get them to do it. The repair involves using a holes saw and recovering the remains of the failed bolt and installing a new bolt and nut and mount if needed. It may be there for a day or two as the parts would not normally be in stock. Do both sides if possible as the other side will be under alot of stress and will most likely fail soon. There was a recall for the 1st gen cars but not for the 95's. Reasonable time would be 2-3 hours per side plus parts.
I always stand behind my work!

I would never stand in front of it!

Taurus, wifes grocery getter
F350 6.7 diesel dually hot rod

Zenriddles

Post by Zenriddles » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:24 pm

^^ Man gives good advice ^^

That said, Post a for sale ad on SHOCAGO.com. SOMEBODY will pick it up from you if you just want to be rid of the car. Tell them E1 sent you in your post.
97 SHO Ebony 190K -Welded
97 SHO Toreador Red 70K -Welded
96 SHO Medium Willow Green 121K -welded, Supercharged
96 SHO Rosemist 72K -Welded 2006 Best of SHOw, Popular Vote. 2007 Best Gen 3 SHO - National Convention
96 SHO Medium Graphite 145K -Welded

jimbbski

Post by jimbbski » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Re-read my post. The bolt didn't fail, nor did the subframe itself but the part of the cars chassis/body that the subframe bolts to. It is just gone, done rusted away! As in there is nothing left to bolt anything to! Major body repairs would be required to fix this which would include removing the engine/trans assembly.

storm
Vehicle: 97 Ford Taurus

Post by storm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:01 pm

May I ask what you ended up doing with the car?