If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

CAI

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
warlocke

CAI

Post by warlocke »

anyone put a cold air intake on their 07 yet?

is it worth the upgrade and will it void my warranty?

what kind of mpg increases have you seen?

warlocke

Post by warlocke »

anyone?

PMCErnie

Re: CAI

Post by PMCErnie »

warlocke wrote:anyone put a cold air intake on their 07 yet?

is it worth the upgrade and will it void my warranty?

what kind of mpg increases have you seen?
You can bet that it will void your warranty.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

92merc

Post by 92merc »

No, it doesn't void your warranty. The Magnusson Fergus act awhile back ensures that. The law puts it that Ford would have to prove that the CAI caused some specific damage.

I think on the Taurus, there's just not that many trying to tweak out the car. So not many have tried CAI. If we wanted something with more power, we wouldn't have bought this car.

IMO, CAI won't do a whole lot on this car. Not unless you chip it, and put in a free flow exhaust/cats.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

I put a K&N drop in filter in the wife's 07 Freestyle, and it didn't do much to change the performance - maybe a bit. For me, I've used K&N's on most all of my cars, mostly because of the long-term maintenance aspect. I've gotten pretty adept at making sure the right amount of oil is on the gauze, and try to clean them every 25k miles. Never had an issue with MAF or any other sensors in probably over 300k combined miles on different vehicles. But in very few cases has the improved airflow changed the feel of driving the car - with one exception - a 95 saab 900s that would be a DOG without the K&N. Not sure about that one. (and yes, I've also played games with the air intake box restrictions to give more of a CAI type of flow, and besides a nicer sound when you boot it, you don't feel much in the butt. :-) )

The only issue with CAI's and warranty is if you've got one of the longer CAI's that tries to draw air from the lower part of the engine compartment, where the possibility of getting water into the intake (puddles, etc) exists, and then you need to have a relief valve on the intake pipe to handle anything that would happen in that regards. Most of the short intakes that keep the filter up high don't need it - but have less effect since the air then typically isn't as cool and you negate much of the CAI purposes....

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

92merc wrote:No, it doesn't void your warranty. The Magnusson Fergus act awhile back ensures that. The law puts it that Ford would have to prove that the CAI caused some specific damage.

I think on the Taurus, there's just not that many trying to tweak out the car. So not many have tried CAI. If we wanted something with more power, we wouldn't have bought this car.

IMO, CAI won't do a whole lot on this car. Not unless you chip it, and put in a free flow exhaust/cats.
Kindly post a copy of said "act."

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

PMCErnie wrote:
92merc wrote:No, it doesn't void your warranty. The Magnusson Fergus act awhile back ensures that. The law puts it that Ford would have to prove that the CAI caused some specific damage.

Here's a wiki link to the act (acutally Magnuson-Moss Act), and within that link is info and pointers to the actual law words. It's intent was (loosely) to provide that owners of items under warranty were not REQUIRED to use parts and supplies for maintenance by a specific source in order to keep the warranty valid. Now, can the use of a CAI stretch the meaning of the law? Yep. If you put a drop-in aftermarket filter into the existing air box, then you'd be well within the law. But REMOVING the air box and allowing a straight pipe from the filter into the intake COULD void the warranty, especially if the dealership could prove that this modification allowed something to occur (like water or unfiltered air, or even if stuff like the MAF and other parts had no ability to be connected with this CAI setup). I know folks on the Honda forums have had spotty success with aftermarket CAI's (more common there) and warranty work, especially with a sensor failure....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Andy is technically correct (the best kind of correct) but from a practical standpoint the technician at Ford can just arbitrarily deny your warranty claim and blame it on the CAI and you're pretty well screwed. Radio won't eject a disc? Oh, I see you have a CAI... Then you're stuck trying to fight city hall.

I had a V6 Mustang I converted to dual exhaust. My passenger side manifold cracked and Ford refused the warranty claim, saying I didn't have the proper hanger under the middle of the car. Well, after I fixed it myself, I learned there IS no hanger under the middle of ANY Mustang, dual exhaust or single. :x Bastards.
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

andysinnh wrote:
PMCErnie wrote:

Here's a wiki link to the act (acutally Magnuson-Moss Act), and within that link is info and pointers to the actual law words. It's intent was (loosely) to provide that owners of items under warranty were not REQUIRED to use parts and supplies for maintenance by a specific source in order to keep the warranty valid. Now, can the use of a CAI stretch the meaning of the law? Yep. If you put a drop-in aftermarket filter into the existing air box, then you'd be well within the law. But REMOVING the air box and allowing a straight pipe from the filter into the intake COULD void the warranty, especially if the dealership could prove that this modification allowed something to occur (like water or unfiltered air, or even if stuff like the MAF and other parts had no ability to be connected with this CAI setup). I know folks on the Honda forums have had spotty success with aftermarket CAI's (more common there) and warranty work, especially with a sensor failure....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

andy
Thanks for the link to the act. It doesn't give me a lot of comfort.