If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Increase Horsepower

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
Mario

Increase Horsepower

Post by Mario »

OK So as many of you know that the Ford 500 can use a little more horsepower. I am looking for some ways to boast the ponnies in my 500. I just bought a K&N air filter for my car and I'm trying to think of more ways to boast hp that won't void my warranty on it. I bought my 05 500 from a dealer and I got the 36K mile warranty. I just want some more ump when I really get in it. If anyone can help me increase the hp without voiding my warranty then please do. Also does anyone know if the car uses synthenic or regular oil? As well as Normal or Platinuim Spark Plugs? Thanks for all your help

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

How many more hp did the K&N boost? Dreamer.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

Mario

K&N

Post by Mario »

I have no clue yet. I just ordered my K&N yesterday my guy at AdnvanceAuto Parts said it would be in today sometime. Plus I have no way of checking my HP rating. Can you please advice me how I can check my HP? I only know that everyone is telling me that a K&N will help my gas mileage and increase my HP. Do you know of anyway I can check my HP mpg etc..?? Thanks for the help

andysinnh

Re: K&N

Post by andysinnh »

Mario wrote:I have no clue yet. I just ordered my K&N yesterday my guy at AdnvanceAuto Parts said it would be in today sometime. Plus I have no way of checking my HP rating. Can you please advice me how I can check my HP? I only know that everyone is telling me that a K&N will help my gas mileage and increase my HP. Do you know of anyway I can check my HP mpg etc..?? Thanks for the help
The K&N dropin in the wife's 07 Freestyle changed nothing in "seat of the pants" HP nor MPG's - sort of a wash, IMHO....

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

b2freeman

Post by b2freeman »

It's too bad that Ford took a step backwards with the performance of the 3.0L they used in the 500's. I've had a couple of older Taurus's with a 3.0L motor, different motors I know, but they would out perform this one in both mpg and zip.
These motors, if treated right, are good motors in their own way. With everything being computer controlled, unless you have someway of changing programming (chip or whatever) and putting money into injectors (there goes mpg) and other engine mods. your pretty well stuck. Whoever you can free-up some horsepower and mpg by making it breathe easier. Less restrictive intake and exhaust is one way. Is it enough for pay-back???? I guess that depends on the person, I think probably not.
The only way to check any horsepower gains would be to go to the local Dyno shop and get a base line check of your HP in current config, make your mods then re-check. That in itself is pricey, somewhere @ $100 for three pulls.
05 500 Limited AWD Loaded

Mario

Post by Mario »

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Is there anykind of handheld device that would allow me to check HP?
05 500 Ltd 18" HanKooks, Heated Leather, Wood Grain, MoonRoof, Green w/Peanut Butter Guts, Reverse Sensors, Kicker ZX750.1 amp, 1 Kicker L7 12", Polk 6.5" Components, Pioneer TV http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304556/2 ... e-hundred/

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

Live with the 203 horses, Beb.

b2freeman

Post by b2freeman »

I believe there is software out there that you can buy, comes with cable that plugs into the OBD port and can get you a theoratical horsepower based on fuel, accel. time, weight of vehicle etc. I don't know if they have it for cars but I know they have it for trucks. It's pricey too @ $500.00 for the CD and cable.
05 500 Limited AWD Loaded

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Mario wrote:Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Is there anykind of handheld device that would allow me to check HP?
The most accurate (and most fun) measurement of HP would be based on your trap speed at the end of a quarter-mile track. :D

Definitely worth looking into. If you're lucky, they'll even have a scale so you can weigh it. And you'll probably be swamped with people asking you what kind of car that is. Guaranteed fun!
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

Mario

HP

Post by Mario »

OK So I got my K&N and I put it in last night. I checked my MPG on the way home before I put it in and @ 65 mph I go about 30mpg on highway and around 22 or so street. I did the same test this morning and I was down to about 23 highway but I was cruising at 72mph. I figure speed has alot to do with it so I will post new numbers tonight or tomorrow morning. I really do like what I can tell soo far from my K&N. I was riding behind this Z28 Camero this morning and she decided to punch it and I kept up with her. We started from roll of about 5mph thenshe got in her Z28 so I got in my 500. I don't think that this is all the K&N but I did hit about 5200rpm before it changed to second gear LOL (soo much fun). I really love the gear ratio on this car!! :D OK so I'll post new stats later and I will hopefully take it to a track (Gateway Int I hope) and do a couple of laps. I'm also think bought having my local shop build me a custom exhaust for the 500 b/c no one makes kits for them yet. Thanks for all the help soo far guys later 8)
05 500 Ltd 18" HanKooks, Heated Leather, Wood Grain, MoonRoof, Green w/Peanut Butter Guts, Reverse Sensors, Kicker ZX750.1 amp, 1 Kicker L7 12", Polk 6.5" Components, Pioneer TV http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304556/2 ... e-hundred/

sudosnake

Post by sudosnake »

I went with an SCT tune that plugged into the OBD port and felt a big difference at 93 octane. There are also tunes for 87 and 91 included. In terms of warranty it really depends on how friendly your dealer is to the tuner market. Mine loves to tune up Fords so I don't think i will have a problem. But I am turning my 05 500 in in three months and looking for a new ride. So far the Edge and the Lincoln MKZ are in the running. I also have the K&N and I like it because I can service it myself very easily.
'05 Ford 500 LTD, AWD, CVT,
'07 Shelby GT 500 Convertible Replica, 5 Speed, Whipple Supercharger
'08 Ford Explorer LTD, 4WD, SCT TUNE, Magnaflow Cat Backs, KKN CAI

JJ

Post by JJ »

Can you please advice me how I can check my HP?
Use a G-Tech. http://www.gtechpro.com/prod.html
I only know that everyone is telling me that a K&N will help my gas mileage and increase my HP. Do you know of anyway I can check my HP mpg etc..??
The only way it will increase fuel economy is if your air-filter was dirty to begin with. If you want to increase power, Yank off the air silencer on the air-filter box and get a SCT tuner with a custom tune. http://www.sctflash.com/
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

msoucy

BE CAREFUL!!! NOT TOO MANY HP's

Post by msoucy »

The 500's have a rubber belt to drive the transmission from the engine. You soup this up too much you'll be shredding this belt. I am sure thats not too cheap to change out. I think thats why you will find little out there to hop it up. In '08 they also changed the engine to a 3.5-Liter so I am not sure how much aftermarket stuff will be produced for such a limited market.

2008FordTaurus

Post by 2008FordTaurus »

I would doubt much aftermarket stuff will be made for the FH/Taurus. The cars are what they are. The 3.0 in the FH is one reason I did not buy one. The 3.5 in the Taurus is one reason I did buy one. Even with the 3.5, it is no race car.

Mario... 5200rpm in first gear?? Are you kidding?
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4X4

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

JJ wrote:
I only know that everyone is telling me that a K&N will help my gas mileage and increase my HP. Do you know of anyway I can check my HP mpg etc..??
The only way it will increase fuel economy is if your air-filter was dirty to begin with. If you want to increase power, Yank off the air silencer on the air-filter box and get a SCT tuner with a custom tune. http://www.sctflash.com/
K&N always helped my mileage.
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

RStabb

Re: BE CAREFUL!!! NOT TOO MANY HP's

Post by RStabb »

msoucy wrote:The 500's have a rubber belt to drive the transmission from the engine. You soup this up too much you'll be shredding this belt. I am sure thats not too cheap to change out. I think thats why you will find little out there to hop it up. In '08 they also changed the engine to a 3.5-Liter so I am not sure how much aftermarket stuff will be produced for such a limited market.
What??? :roll:

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

RStabb wrote:
msoucy wrote:The 500's have a rubber belt to drive the transmission from the engine. You soup this up too much you'll be shredding this belt. I am sure thats not too cheap to change out. I think thats why you will find little out there to hop it up. In '08 they also changed the engine to a 3.5-Liter so I am not sure how much aftermarket stuff will be produced for such a limited market.
What??? :roll:
I thought it was a rubber band? :lol:

briggleman

Post by briggleman »

2008FordTaurus wrote: Mario... 5200rpm in first gear?? Are you kidding?
I have actually hit 6,200+ rpm in my 07 AWD Five Hundred, but it has the CVT. At 28,000 plus miles on my baby, it has improved with age. At one time its 0-60 time was just under 9 sec. On Sat. did my 0-60 test again, same place as before and it clocked in at just over 8 seconds!! If I had to guesstimate, 8.1, 8.2.

I have had zero problems with her so far. In fact, this Ford has turned out to be the cheapest in maintenance costs compared to my past Subaru's and VW passats. Better fuel economy than both of them. So if Ford keeps making cars like this. I am a loyal customer.

Brad
Brad in WV
===========
07 SEL AWD "Titanium Metallic Green" Tan Leather, BkUp sensors, Int. power pkg, Chrome pkg, 18" Pirilli P6 tires, and Sirius radio. Mfg. 09/14/06

JJ

Post by JJ »

Only the Five hundreds that have the CVT transmission use a belt and it is not rubber, it is a steel link belt.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

JJ

Post by JJ »

Dutch wrote:
JJ wrote:
K&N always helped my mileage.
It helped your mileage because your old filter was dirty to begin with.