If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Oil Change

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
phillip

Oil Change

Post by phillip »

So I got my oil changed at Wal-Mart (mainly because I wanted to add a quart of Slick 50). I used the Motorcraft 5W-20 Syn Blend, but they used a Fram oil filter. Anyone have any problems with Fram, or am I good to go until I turn over 30K miles?
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

nabrum

Re: Oil Change

Post by nabrum »

phillip wrote: Anyone have any problems with Fram, or am I good to go until I turn over 30K miles?
Do a search on fram filters. You'll get an earful.
Gorgeous Merlot/Black Limited, CVT/AWD, Moonroof, Side Airbags, Reverse Sensors, etc.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount »

Go to the Ford dealer and change the oil again. Have them use a Genuine Ford Motorcraft oil filter. One of the best filters out there. The oil you used is fine, same as a Ford dealer puts in.

The Fram filter is junk and you will pay him sooner than later.

Now you know why wally world and every other tom dick and harry carry fram filters. They are cheap in price and the way they filter.

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

I don't see why you should panic over one Fram filter. Just be sure to change it in 5,000 miles, or 6 months, and never use one again.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

For a 3k mile oil change interval, fram will be OK. It's after that mileage that some of their filtering capabilities leave a bit to be desired. But what I'm intersted in is why you're adding Slick50 to your oil? If you add the semi-syn from Ford, that's all you need. The days of additives to make things last longer or get better gas mileage is pretty much long-gone.. I added Slick50 once about 20 years ago when it first came out - did nothing to improve the noise/mileage on the vehicle at the time.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

todd

Post by todd »

#1 - You can spin off the Fram and put on a true Ford oil filter, just replace enough of the proper oil to bring the level back up to full. Probably at least a half quart to compensate for what you would lose in the filter.

#2 - If you have already added the Slick50 crap... Go get another oil change immediately, if not sooner. If you haven't added the Slick50, return it for your money back.

Slick50 contains PTBE, in other words, teflon for which 3M specifically states that it is NOT meant for combustion engines and in fact is harmful to combustion engines.
2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD
Silver Birch, Curt Class 2 Hitch
Montego LED tail lights
45K Trouble-free Miles & Now Dead. RIP.
Now: 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited

Mario

Post by Mario »

I used Slick 50 a couple of times in my 96 Z34 it worked great. I noticed a bit of HP gain and a lil bit quietier ride. I don't know what the fuss is all about b/c I don't have any complaits about it. I would never use it in my 500 but in a older car (under 2000) I don't see a problem with it. I hope everything works out for you.

FRAM oil filters I have never had a problem with either. I only use the Fram Tough Gaurd series but they seem to work pretty good to me. I used to used Castrol GTX anti sludge formula and the Fram TG series and they are a prefect combo to me. Can someone please give WHY they think Fram is bad not just say thaat it SUCKS?
05 500 Ltd 18" HanKooks, Heated Leather, Wood Grain, MoonRoof, Green w/Peanut Butter Guts, Reverse Sensors, Kicker ZX750.1 amp, 1 Kicker L7 12", Polk 6.5" Components, Pioneer TV http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304556/2 ... e-hundred/

nabrum

Post by nabrum »

phillip wrote:So I got my oil changed at Wal-Mart (mainly because I wanted to add a quart of Slick 50). ....
Your manual says No additives
Gorgeous Merlot/Black Limited, CVT/AWD, Moonroof, Side Airbags, Reverse Sensors, etc.

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie »

Don't toss it. It can always be used as a love lube.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

Mario

Post by Mario »

Mario wrote:I used Slick 50 a couple of times in my 96 Z34 it worked great. I noticed a bit of HP gain and a lil bit quietier ride. I don't know what the fuss is all about b/c I don't have any complaits about it. I would never use it in my 500 but in a older car (under 2000) I don't see a problem with it. I hope everything works out for you.

FRAM oil filters I have never had a problem with either. I only use the Fram Tough Gaurd series but they seem to work pretty good to me. I used to used Castrol GTX anti sludge formula and the Fram TG series and they are a prefect combo to me. Can someone please give WHY they think Fram is bad not just say thaat it SUCKS?
05 500 Ltd 18" HanKooks, Heated Leather, Wood Grain, MoonRoof, Green w/Peanut Butter Guts, Reverse Sensors, Kicker ZX750.1 amp, 1 Kicker L7 12", Polk 6.5" Components, Pioneer TV http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304556/2 ... e-hundred/

phillip

Post by phillip »

The manual also says no additives for the gas, but even Ford dealers seem to be telling people to add Techron if they have a rough idle.

I got the oil changed on a Tuesday, and the next day I drove a 400 mile trip and I got better gas mileage -- low 30s and I was doing 75 most of the way. I was using Shell gas, though, which is a Top Tier gasoline.
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Fram filters aren't good, but as long as you change your oil regularly it will be fine.

I would get the slick 50 out of my crankcase ASAP if it was my car.
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

stang_gt

Post by stang_gt »

Many vehicle manufacturers specify not to add oil additives as it will void your warranty. They will do an oil spectroanalysis if you have internal engine problems and oil is suspected as the possible cause. If you're out of warranty then it's no problem but when you're still in warranty, follow the owners manual and warranty guide to the letter.

The PTFE in some additives was known to cause problems in the 3.4 engines used in the 96-99 Taurus SHO.

JJ

Post by JJ »

phillip wrote:So I got my oil changed at Wal-Mart (mainly because I wanted to add a quart of Slick 50). I used the Motorcraft 5W-20 Syn Blend, but they used a Fram oil filter. Anyone have any problems with Fram, or am I good to go until I turn over 30K miles?
Using Slick 50 will void your warranty. Fram makes the worst oil filters. Fram uses cheap cardboard end caps inside their filters. CHEAP! Don't go over the 5,000mile oil change interval.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

JJ

Post by JJ »

Can someone please give WHY they think Fram is bad not just say thaat it SUCKS?
Because they use cheap cardboard end caps on their filters.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount »

I first heard about junk fram filters from guys who have or restored antique tractors. The fram filters, either register inaccurate oil pressure readings or some have had their engines trashed, by the junk fram filter breaking down and clogging the oil pickup, in the oil pan.

Again....why do you think wal-mart sells them? Wal-mart doesn't sell many quality goods. :roll:

msgtord

Post by msgtord »

If you do a search of "oil filter test", you'll find that Fram did not fair to well on most of the test. I think the biggest problem was the anti-drain valve would allow the pressure to drop, causing a loss of pressure during start up. Fram used to use a plastic valve that would fail.

todd

Post by todd »

Famous oil filter study that has been around for years:
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oi ... index.html
2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD
Silver Birch, Curt Class 2 Hitch
Montego LED tail lights
45K Trouble-free Miles & Now Dead. RIP.
Now: 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited

sibseb

Fram

Post by sibseb »

I don't know about all this Fram bashing.

I have done 99% of the oil changes on all of my (and my parents) previous cars, and I've never had an engine issue. I'm talking about a 92 Explorer with about 130K, an 89 Ford Probe with about 120K, a current 1997 Taurus with about 140K, a Mountaineer with about 50K, my 2000 Ford Focus with about 55K (then it got totaled) and my current 500 with about 25K on it.

I've always used filters that were on sale or roughly the cheapest... which meant 80% of the time I was using Fram. I've never noticed any issues with my engines or their performance. In fact, my parents still have their 97 Taurus, and the engine runs fantastic (having a tranny issue though).

I always change the oil around 5K (or whatever the manual tells us... might have been 3K for some of the older vehicles). Nowadays I wait until 5K.

If it makes a difference, I always use oil that is on sale as well. I just tend to stick with name brands instead of brands like "Murray's Auto Store Oil." Of course, as long as it's certified ASE for gasoline engines, it shouldn't cause an issue.

It's all about taking care of your car. I almost always follow the guidelines outlined in my car manual. If Ford made it... I'll follow their schedule.

Just my 2 cents.
2006 FWD 500 LTD
Silver Frost/Black INT
Options:
Reverse Sensing/Traction Control/Homelink
MFG Date: 11/05

JJ

Post by JJ »

f it makes a difference, I always use oil that is on sale as well. I just tend to stick with name brands instead of brands like "Murray's Auto Store Oil." Of course, as long as it's certified ASE for gasoline engines, it shouldn't cause an issue.
It does make a difference if the oil is made by Quaker State. Quakers State oil breaks down quickly. I have seen many camshafts go bad using Quaker State.