If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Anyone experienced this strange problem?

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
andysinnh

Post by andysinnh »

Hi - First, a quick introduction - I'm Andy and I live in southern NH. I'm a visitor over here from the Ford Freestyle forum. We've owned our '07 Freestyle Limited AWD for about 5 months now, and the wife loves it (her primary vehicle).....

So this morning in the garage she was getting the exact same symptoms seen by others in this thread. Remotes (either one) would inconsistently lock/unlock doors, and then when she drove the turn signals were going quickly. Haven't yet seen if the problem goes away, as it's sitting in the parking lot at her school right now, so we'll see if it's self-healing like others have noted. But was wondering if others have seen this problem since the last posts, and whether there was any underlying cause ever found?

thanks much - andy

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

[quote=Oh LORD! Don't tell me this thing has to have time to sit and contemplate its navel! Or is the lack of a hood ornament bugging it?[/quote]

OMYGOD, you've maybe just hit on the cause of our problems with wandering steering! No hood ornament to aim it by! J. C. Whitney, you're my only hope.

This is the first place I've ever seen where even the 4th or 5th "teller of tall ones" ain't got a chance. That's why I like it here! Just no end to what a feller can learn....

Ken
Me, I don't got a Freestyle anymore. Got a preshrunk Ford now.

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Here you go, if you're going to do it, do it with style!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 37/c-10101
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

angel500 wrote:Thanks TC. Hopefully you've learned a few things about blinker fluid, headlight fluid, and using winter or summer air in your tires. :wink:

angel

OmyLord, I'd forgotten that summer air in my tires! But thanks to Angel, I'll write myself a note to change it out by the end of October. We simply can't get caught with summer air in the tires when a cold one blows in, nosirree!

Boys, be warned, your pay attention goes south somewhere about my age, and it don't come back north next Spring with the geese, either! Get used to writing notes, or hope you have friends who'll look after you by reminding you. I had to learn how to do it at an advanced age, seein' as how I went to school in Dallas, Texas and dang near flunked play period. . . Did flunk advanced sand pile, but I overcame it finally.

Then at the advanced age of 31 I bore down and graduated tops in my class in Industrial Electronics Engineering Technology. Took me 4 years to learn what that meant and how to spell it. Now at age 76 I done up'n forgot it again. DANG!

Oh, and our last visit to the mama in law was a success. She's done got senile enough to quit trynig to ram me with her walker. She's even far enough around the bend to not be able to remember she tried it once with her car. Sure messed up the side of her garage, too. Me, I got away with only a bad case of nerves. . . Now she wants to hug my neck - - - strange! The wife has to make me stand hitched for that, though.

Ken

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

Dutch wrote:Here you go, if you're going to do it, do it with style!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... -p_Product
.CATENTRY_ID:2006504/p-2006504/N-111+10201+600002537/c-10101

Shoot! I was hopin' for a Ford greyhound.

Ken

glenncof

Post by glenncof »

Sounds like the battery in the remote is worn out.

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

glenncof wrote:Sounds like the battery in the remote is worn out.

I did have to change out the battery in mine back about May or June. The one in the wife's remote, though, is still workin'. And, she uses hers more than I do, too, seein' as how she now does about 99% of the drivin'. I did get to drive the mile to the Sonic burger place the other day, since the wife was careless and nearly peeled the driver's side mirror clean off the car last time she was there. I drive too slow for her, I suppose. After I drove us home she said I was retired again. (It's my Cardiologist, not her who really sez "No drivin'")

The man at Radio shack knew the battery number by heart. Fixed mine right up.

And O'Rielly's here in Palestine still doesn't understand FREESTYLE! Knowing better than us owners how to pronounce the names of vehicles, he wasn't fazed by my patiently spelling it out for him. Thinks I can't tell the difference between Freestyle and Freestar- - -. Y'all don't reckon somebody told him I went to school in the Dallas Independent School District, do you? I could'a set him straight, as I got my fundamentals from the 3 room Bayles School out on Ferguson Road, in what was then the County, not the City of Dallas! I only went to a DISD school when I hit the 9th grade!

Ken

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Try to buy brand name batteries like Duracell or Energizer. Stay away from Radio Shack specials!!! Near me, the Radio Shack people are idiots now. I remember when they used to hire competant employees!

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

Danimal wrote:Try to buy brand name batteries like Duracell or Energizer. Stay away from Radio Shack specials!!! Near me, the Radio Shack people are idiots now. I remember when they used to hire competant employees!

Son Mike has that problem when he interviews prospects - sez too many of 'em just want a position, not a job.

Ken

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

Well, come to find out there wasn't anything wrong with the remote opener battery I changed out a few months ago. I put it back in and it's fine. We came down with a case of the fast blinking turn signals, neither key fob working, and the gas gauge took a try at being a submarine last Friday morning. I got out and checked the turn lights, all OK, just blinking at maybe 2 to 3 times the normal rate and that gas gauge taking a dive 3 times on the way to Dallas. All was well in Dallas, then on the way home the gauge started it again. All was working normal in Dallas.

Saturday we went to the town where the dealership is, and after breakfast with the sister and her hubby I decided we should drop by the dealer and see if there was anybody we could talk to. The result? We take it in Tuesday morning for some laying on of hands or some such. (Might as well! If it ain't doin' it, how they gonna find it?) Then going home up pops the "engine" light. Gas gauge was taking a nap at the time, and it produced an F 0463 code. It had been about 140 miles since we filled the tank, so- - -.

It isn't going to be easy to find whatever it is, if they ever do find it. All we can do is hope. Sure wish we'd tried the turn indicators and door fobs while the gas gauge was taking a nap, but we didn't think of it. Sure wish we had had presence of mind enough to do it, but we didn't.

We get an older style Taurus as a loaner, and a warning it could be there for a day or for weeks. I understand it, as intermittent troubles are really hard to pin down. Some never do get found. Sure do hope they can find ours.

Hello, john ClineII !

Ken

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

The key fob and the turn indicator/parking lights have the alarm and security system in common. They are both used by that system.

A detour here: I wanted into the locked car a while back, and not wanting to walk inside for the keys, I reached through the open right window to hit the unlock button on the right door so I could get in. All hell broke loose. I had to run inside the house to get the fob to shut it up. Both are controlled by that system. That's where they are looking right now on our car.

Maybe a plug that isn't seated right, but not water. Our car is under a roof all the time and we haven't had rain to speak of in 2 months until this last weekend. We had one of those intermittents in a system at the Toll building in Dallas that had been there for ages. I finally found a loose Cannon plug and fixed it by shoving it home and backing the cross threaded plug locking ring out and putting it on straight and tightening it down properly. Sometimes even a blind hog will root up an acorn, you know? Eliminate all the trash and then see if the trouble is still there.

ken

Domain

Post by Domain »

oldHamOperator wrote:The key fob and the turn indicator/parking lights have the alarm and security system in common. They are both used by that system.

ken
Uhhh.... why didn't you just use the keypad? I thought all the Freebies had them like the Five Hundreds.
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

Domain wrote:Uhhh.... why didn't you just use the keypad? I thought all the Freebies had them like the Five Hundreds.

Yep, they got 'em, but if you're standing there by the door with the key in the hand, it's quicker. Good thought, though; would the pad have worked at that time? I didn't think to try it the 3 or 4 times it's happened to me. The wife sez she don't want any more of those lights starting to flash while she's driving, as it seems I had forgotten about that, too. Maybe there's more than one reason why both her and the doc don't want me driving, huh? I sit over on the right nowadays, in my own little fog bank, it seems. At times, anyway.

The SM at that dealer I sat down with to ask questions was the one that scheduled us for repairs, I didn't ask for them to repair it. He said these usually escalate into bigger problems. but if it did, seems to me it'd be easier to find. He wanted to do all the reflash business, though, and he asked could we leave it. At least he didn't blow us off.

Oh, he's the one that took care of us when the service order writer "forgot" to enter our brake problems in the system and instead of saying the parts would take a week, he said they have morning truck delivery of parts and they'd be there next morning, and they'd do it while we waited. He was true to his word, too, so I went along with him this time. The man's trying to do his job, I just stand back out of his way. He had pointedly reminded me that we were just 2 weeks away from the end of that 12 month's warranty, and he said at that time he'd make sure it got into the system and that it got fixed. Next time I was up there the service guy was gone. He'd fired him.

I didn't tell him about the time Maggie in the service department wanted us to leave the car there so they could order parts and us hoof it home, either. For a dad blamed seat latch she wanted us to leave the car there while they ordered a part, and no loaner to go the 40 miles home! On second thought, I oughta asked him about that!

I got indignant and told her if they needed the seat for a week so they could order parts, just take it out; "We ain't walkin' NOwhere!" She knows where we live, and she still insisted they had to keep the car in order to get parts ordered. HUMBUG! I say good morning to her and go to somebody else for service.

Ken

oldHamOperator

Post by oldHamOperator »

We picked it up at 5:30 this evening. They changed out the gas level pickup unit and the harness to it, as they picked up some codes and found it was going open but the other "blinkety blink" and "no gittum through my doors" behavior, it naturally didn't didn't occur while they had it. I really didn't expect it to. It wasn't service affecting anyway, so all is well with us. Since getting our car back we can again talk while running 65 on these rock covered roads and even talk on the cell phone and hear what's being said.

If it means riding in a Taurus and listening to the pain threshold level, hurricane like roar on these roads for another week, then it'll have to be limping and circling the drain on 4 cylinders or comatose, needing a wrecker before we part with it again!

They did drive ours a good number of miles, but when the blinkers or the key fob didn't act up there was nothing they could do. Heck, it isn't service affecting anyway. The gas gauge, well, they that say all across the Ford/Mercury line they've been getting a lot of them in with that sender trouble.

We make the 260 odd mile round trip to Dallas again in the morning - The old folks. The 97 year old mother in law has about quit eating and is just tired of living. She wants to die and get it over with. I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up spending some time there with her instead of there and back in a day like we've been doing.

Shoot, she's lost her zest for living, as she hasn't tried to T bone me with her walker for better than 6 months now. Doing away with me was her dream for so long I kinda miss it- - -. I ain't used to being her darling son in law!

Ken