If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

08-09 Taurus X Coil packs melted now needs new Computer!

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
tracyj2472

08-09 Taurus X Coil packs melted now needs new Computer!

Post by tracyj2472 »

Toxic fumes, melted coils, and I have been without my car for over a week now. I am a female and wondered if anyone else had this happen? I am just glad my 3 year old and I were able to pussy foot it off Highway 355 near Chicago, to a shop, that told me the fumes were toxic, lethal, and legally, they couldn't let me drive away in it. I am now worried about cost, they could not find the computer....

warment

Re: 08-09 Taurus X Coil packs melted now needs new Computer!

Post by warment »

Wow...did it melt one pack or all of them?
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

tracyj2472

Post by tracyj2472 »

Melted two so far.... It smelled real bad, but sweet. My boy kept saying, "Mommy you making cookies?" I was nauseous sick for a day and a half.

warment

Post by warment »

Honestly, I have no idea what could have caused this. Did you just buy the car? Sounds like the spark plugs were arcing inside the coils? Did you just have plugs installed or anything? Using something other than dialectric grease could cause this I think. But, I would think this would happen immediately if this was the case. Also, I seem to remember reading something about a bad ground that could cause issues...
6-spd auto

tracyj2472

Post by tracyj2472 »

I have owned this car since brand new. I have ALWAYS KEPT UP ON OIL CHANGES, TIRE ROTATIONS, NEW TIRES AS NEEDED, GENERAL WEAR AND TEAR MAINTENANCE. This car showed no signs during Oil Change just two weeks prior. The fumes emitted through my vents were toxic, thank GOD I wasn't the typical female driver to ignore the sweet smell, and my throat hurting.

When I popped the hood, I checked the Transmission fluid, the car was running but the stick was clean, showing no fluid. I wiped the stick and tried again. Nothing. At that point, afraid I was going to blow the engine (no actual smoke seen, just white puffs intermittently popping from one of the two exhaust pipes), I drove to the nearest shop I could find.

As of a week and 1 day, without a car...I finally got it back.
Here is a list of what had to be done at the tune of $2100.00

*all new spark plugs
* all new coil packs, three were melted
* injector cleaning
* new computer
* tow to Ford
* flash computer and keys (?)
* tow back to shop
* O/L/F
* tune up

New gas I had to fill up. Ugh! Happy Valentines Day to me...Thanks Ford! ={

warment

Post by warment »

Wow! Crazy stuff.
6-spd auto

The Bone

Post by The Bone »

Thats crazy Glad you didn't burn down on the side of the road. Glad the kids were ok to. Go to Ford and see if they could tell why this could passably happen. Did you have a extended warranty? Even thou had to go to a repair shop instead of Ford they may cover expenses for you

tracyj2472

Post by tracyj2472 »

The Bone wrote:Thats crazy Glad you didn't burn down on the side of the road. Glad the kids were ok to. Go to Ford and see if they could tell why this could passably happen. Did you have a extended warranty? Even thou had to go to a repair shop instead of Ford they may cover expenses for you
I had the Ford extended Warranty to 100,000 miles, but my car hit 112,000. Isn't that the way it always goes, pay off a car, and it starts nickeling and dimming you to death! Thanks for your information, and help! :twisted:

tracyj2472

Post by tracyj2472 »

Hi, I am Tracy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven »

Wow that's pretty crazy, I have not heard of the coil packs melting on this platform of car before... actually never heard of any Ford coil packs melting.

I had the Ford warranty until 100k miles also, at 99,955 miles I went and bought a 24 month/24k mile warranty from Ford which paid for itself in the first 6 months of having it already.

At least you were able to get it fixed and running again even though it cost a lot!
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD