If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2013 SEL losing power

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
warment

Re: 2013 SEL losing power

Post by warment » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 am

I had no idea. I did know that the newer ones came with an alternator clutch setup. I am not a fan of this...
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Domain

Post by Domain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 am

Take a look at one of Makuloco's videos... this one shows it in action, at least in some part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJeDX-T-Eg

I've had a few days where I'll be driving along and it drops down to 12.7 voltage. Then, if I start coasting, spikes to 14.2, then drops back down to 12.7 when I get back on the gas. Have to hit a trifecta of conditions, though, before that happens.
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:06 am

Texas122 wrote:Thanks to Deysha at ford service, Ford engineers have stepped in. Dealership called this PM, battery and backup camera need to be replaced. I doubt this is a solution, but they are continuing to work with the engineers, and will start on power and acceleration issues tomorrow.
Great! Thank you for the update, Texas122!

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

Texas122

Post by Texas122 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 am

Got the car back yesterday. Here is what Ford reported:

Replaced battery due to low CCA at 80 rating 650

Reprogrammed PCM to latest Calibration

Backup camera had to be special ordered.

Did not to a comprehensive explanation from service rep. Obviously they still do not know why the car is losing acceleration. Since they are guessing, i remain hesitant to take this car on a freeway.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions.

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 am

Texas122 wrote:Got the car back yesterday. Here is what Ford reported:
Replaced battery due to low CCA at 80 rating 650
Reprogrammed PCM to latest Calibration
Backup camera had to be special ordered.

Did not to a comprehensive explanation from service rep. Obviously they still do not know why the car is losing acceleration. Since they are guessing, i remain hesitant to take this car on a freeway.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions.
Thanks for the update, Texas122. Keep me updated.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

Domain

2013 SEL losing power

Post by Domain » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 pm

If the battery was bad, then it is likely the PCM was short on power and/or the throttle body probably difficulty responding to throttle command. That's probably why it failed over. Your problem may be solved.

Texas122

Post by Texas122 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 am

Greetings again,

Well, my problem has returned. New battery in September had resolved the "cut out" problem, but it returned yesterday. No acceleration and the wrench indicator came on. Turned car off and restarted and all was well again. I suspect something is draining the battery.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Texas 122

Texas122

Post by Texas122 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 am

Dropped car at ford this morning. Unfortunately, they are asking me the same questions as back in August and referring to no codes recorded in car computer. Don' t understand why they can't refer to car maintenence history. Not a lot of confidence this will be correctly analyzed today.

Texas122

Post by Texas122 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Greetings,

After no trouble found at nearby ford dealership, decided to drop the car off at a dealership 45 minutes away. ( thanks ford for providing a loaner vehicle)

Well, this dealership found an error code and replaced the throttle body. Ford engineers were involved. Although I am grateful, I am now curious why the dealership nearby did not find this error code. Further, same problem in August was diagnosed as low voltage, and replaced the battery.

Any thoughts on this chain of events.

Texas122

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 am

Texas122 wrote:Greetings,

After no trouble found at nearby ford dealership, decided to drop the car off at a dealership 45 minutes away. ( thanks ford for providing a loaner vehicle)

Well, this dealership found an error code and replaced the throttle body. Ford engineers were involved. Although I am grateful, I am now curious why the dealership nearby did not find this error code. Further, same problem in August was diagnosed as low voltage, and replaced the battery.

Any thoughts on this chain of events.
Glad this was taken care of for you, Texas122!

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

Domain

Post by Domain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:02 am

Texas122 wrote: Well, this dealership found an error code and replaced the throttle body. Ford engineers were involved. Although I am grateful, I am now curious why the dealership nearby did not find this error code. Further, same problem in August was diagnosed as low voltage, and replaced the battery.
I'm fascinated by this, but fairly convinced. If system voltage had been a problem overall, they would have probably caught additional stored codes coming from the EPAS system. AFAIK, and I'm not a mechanic, I think it's at least as sensitive as the power steering components to low voltage.

Not totally impossible that the throttle body could have failed, just weird.

If you were nearby, I'd hook up FORScan to your car for grins. I'd track the Body Control Module stats on charging to see if the strategy matches up with what I observe on my car (working fine, knock on the alternator.)

Gloriawright

Post by Gloriawright » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I have a 2013 Taurus limited and am having the same problem. I have taken it to Automation Ford, Corpus Christi, TX and they stated that if the code did not register, then there was nothing they could do about it. It stalled on us 3 times today alone. I am scheduling an appt again tomorrow. Please update if you find the issue.

Texas122

Post by Texas122 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:26 am

Gloriawright

At the Ford Area Service Managers suggestion, I bought the car to a different dealership. They uncovered an error code and replaced the throttle body. No explanation was given why the initial dealership could not troubleshoot. Until resolved, it was both frustrating and scary. Luckily for us, we were losing power on residential streets and not a highway.

I have a name and number of the manager who helped me if needed. Good luck

Texas122