If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Need help, should I buy this car? Needs work

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
Andromendous
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited

Need help, should I buy this car? Needs work

Post by Andromendous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Hello all, I just joined, I need some help. I've been looking at a 2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 2wd with a 6speed tranny. It's got 134,000 miles on it, over all the car looks really good for its age, no major dents or issues with the body or paint, interior is near perfect. Even the seats arent worn very much at all. Now for the issues it has. I have a buddy thats a mechanic, we drove it around, I made some circles in a parking lot and we noticed some rubbing noises. We looked under the car and the passenger side rack and pinion was leaking bad. The driver side ball join is bad. The heads were covered in oil. Not fresh oil, but old kinda crusty oil. I already looked up what that is and believe it to be the intake gaskets. Which isn't too hard and pretty cheap to fix. The a/c doesn't work and you can hear the compressor kick on and screech like a possum that just got ran over.

So all in all it looks like a pretty good car, other than the issues I described.

They want $3,000 US for it but are willing to go down to $2,400.

What do you think? is it worth messing with? I didn't see any other oil leaks, just the ball joint, and no old oil underneath the pan. I know one issue these motors have is the main rear gasket? which requires removal of the entire engine.

Honestly I just need a car. It looks like a dang good car for a couple grand. How hard is it to replace the passenger rack and pinion, is it something I can DIY or is it a must to have a mechanic do it and what do you think it would cost?

Thanks for any help.

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Re: Need help, should I buy this car? Needs work

Post by mmsstar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Sounds pretty good. I don't think you can just replace one side of the rack & pinion but the job is possible as a diy without a lift.

Andromendous

Post by Andromendous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm

mmsstar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm
Sounds pretty good. I don't think you can just replace one side of the rack & pinion but the job is possible as a diy without a lift.
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention. I couldn't get the air to blow out of the vents very hard. It's like the buttons to turn it up and down didnt do anything. Correct me if im wrong but they are the arrows pointing left and right towards the bottom left of the climate control? Also, when I put it in park and revved the engine up, it would only go to like 3,000 RPM and even if i put my foot to the floor it went reeeeeal slow. Is that normal for this car? It's the first time ive ever seen a car do that.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm

They do have a rev limiter but I have no clue where it would kick in. Does everything else on the center stack seem to work OK?

Andromendous

Post by Andromendous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 pm

mmsstar wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm
They do have a rev limiter but I have no clue where it would kick in. Does everything else on the center stack seem to work OK?
Do you mean center console? Like all the knobs and buttons seem fine. Heater works, radio works. Shoulda test the wipers and heated seats, the button turns on but don't remember if they heated or not. Shifter seems fine. The only thing that doesn't want to work is turning the fan up and down. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? Lol i could swear it worked the first time i looked at the car though.

Also, I heard that these cars have really bad electrical issues, some of them have burst into flames driving down the road is this true?

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I don't know about that. Does the fan speed change or not?

Andromendous

Post by Andromendous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 pm

mmsstar wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 pm
I don't know about that. Does the fan speed change or not?
No it doesn't. It just stays at medium/low

zakoh85

Post by zakoh85 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

I'd buy this car if it was in a great condition. But no AC? Fixing AC can cost as much as buying this car (worst case). 130-150K miles is the point where all the suspension components start wearing out. Our 500's oil pan is wet with oil, but it's not dropping, and I don't know what's the source of leaks.

Montegoman

Post by Montegoman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 am

I'd get it and fix any issue, big or small.