If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

tick....tick....tick....tick.....tick....

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
Apollo

tick....tick....tick....tick.....tick....

Post by Apollo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Ok...

Imagine the sound of an engine knocking b/c of sub-par gas in it. Since ince the temps have cooled down down here, I notice that noise every now and then.

However I do not believe that it's bad gas, b/c I only hear the noise primarily when the transmission is in drive. When I accellerate, the ticking seems to speed up too, then I can't notice it. Really it can only be noticed when I have the window down and am driving beside a wall or something. Could something need to be greased? Sound like a timing chain? Do the 500's have timing chains?

Maybe it's normal....just the engine doing it's "engine" thing....

Any thoughts????

JJ

Post by JJ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:32 pm

It is nearly impossible to diagnose engine sounds by just a written description. It is like shooting in the dark. If you had a sound file to listen to would help greatly. The engine does have timing chains. Pinging will mostly happen under acceleration. You need to bring it into the dealer to get the correct diagnoses. What oil are you using?
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

PsyDoc

Same thing...

Post by PsyDoc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:59 pm

I have a similar (or perhaps the same) noise. I had the camshaft tick TSB performed twice and the noise remained. The Field Service Engineer (FSE) for my area was called in to examine and diagnose the noise. From the waiting room, I could see the FSE, the master mechanic who worked on my car, and the service manager huddled around the car proding the engine with a mechanic's stethoscope for 15-20 minutes. Then, they went back and forth with another Five Hundred that they used as a comparison. After they were finished, the engineer completed some paperwork, filed it (or a copy) with the dealership, and then called me in to talk.

His conclusion is that there is no nonconformity (i.e., no problem) with the engine. Of course, he heard the noise, but he stated that the sound is only present at idle and disappears when the rpm's increase. He said that at idle a lot more noise is transmitted with the double overhead cam engines, especially the ones that have the plastic valve covers. He said the metal covers do a much better job of keeping the engine quiet. He also mentioned the transmission of noise present at idle is due to timing chain adjusters, the gears they ride upon, etc. Yes, the Five Hundred does have actual "chains" two of 'em.

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Well, if it didn't have timing chains, I'd be either due for or soon due belt replacements!

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:33 pm

JJ wrote:It is nearly impossible to diagnose engine sounds by just a written description. It is like shooting in the dark. If you had a sound file to listen to would help greatly. The engine does have timing chains. Pinging will mostly happen under acceleration. You need to bring it into the dealer to get the correct diagnoses. What oil are you using?

I dont know what oil I'm using yet.....I just got the car (used 2005 SE) in sept. I'm getting the oil changed in a couple weeks...I'll have them check it out then....

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:34 pm

johnclineii wrote:Well, if it didn't have timing chains, I'd be either due for or soon due belt replacements!

LOL @ John....