If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

High engine revving on hard braking - 2013 PI

Jake_Blues
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

High engine revving on hard braking - 2013 PI

Post by Jake_Blues » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Had the first road trip in the blues mobile and highway mileage was a decent 25-ish mpg doing between 70 + 80mph.

During several points in traffic I had to hard brake from 70+ due to suddenly stopping traffic and noticed that the engine revs maintained high. At first I thought I had somehow hit the LOW button on the column, but that was not the case.

I couldn't glance at the RPM because I was busy dodging traffic and tapping the gas pedal while braking to "unstick" the accelerator. Thought I was going to have to shut off the ignition but then the engine revving stopped.

Googling points me to possible vacuum leak or computer module issues.

Anyone experience this ? Or is this an "undocumented" feature with the PIs?

I wouldn't expect the engine to remain revving high under sudden braking.

h2so4
Vehicle: 2015 Sedan Inteceptor Ecoboost

Re: High engine revving on hard braking - 2013 PI

Post by h2so4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 pm

This is most likely pursuit mode engaging. It happens on the PI model when you hit the brakes hard at highway speeds. It enables higher RPM shifts and some other features I cant remember.

Big_Eddy
Vehicle: 2015 Interceptor

Re: High engine revving on hard braking - 2013 PI

Post by Big_Eddy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Pursuit Mode.
Hard braking or hard turns, followed by application of the gas will engage PMode. Transmission downshifts to keep the engine in the strongest portion of the power band. Provides better acceleration plus engine braking while engaged. Fuel efficiency plummets.
Drive conservatively for a couple of minutes and it will revert back to the normal "fuel-efficient" mode.