If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by mmsstar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm

You don’t have the CVT, you have the 6 speed.

dab1068

Post by dab1068 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks. I will call the transmission guy and ask him about that.

dab1068

Post by dab1068 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:25 pm

The transmission guy looked a bit deeper and agreed with your assessment. It's still too expensive to fix but less than a whole new transmission anyway.

bruce_in_pa18015
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus X

Post by bruce_in_pa18015 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 am

I am following up the post I made on 4/5/2018. I now have an additional 12,152 miles on my Taurus X since my engine tune up with new spark plugs and coils, and have not experienced any transmission malfunctions since then.

BILLinVegas
Vehicle: 2008 Taurus X SEL

Post by BILLinVegas » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Add me to the list of Taurus X owners with this problem. 2008 Taurus X, 87k miles. Built in 2007.
I bought it a month+ ago, and it had its first "seizure" on me last week. Dash lights dead, check engine light and wrench on... I wish I found this forum before I bought it. I thought I did a good job researching before I bought it. I really love this car, but this issue is going to kill me. But I have to live with it now, I'm into it for several grand.
So, any suggestions on what to do to prevent it from happening again? I've read the whole thread. I'm going to start driving in the city with O/D off. I'm going to have it checked by a mechanic friend next week. Is there anything he can do right off the bat?

bruce_in_pa18015

Post by bruce_in_pa18015 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 am

I have not experienced any transmission malfunctions since my fix mentioned in my post back on 4/5/2018.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi Bruce, and thank you.
First, I love this car - except for THAT. I do think it's not in the transmission, as several people have replaced / rebuilt theirs without much success. I haven't done much mechanical work my self since my '59 Chevy and '70 Camaro. I'm going to have someone else work on it. So, my questions are:

Did you have someone else do it? Was it a professional shop?
What did it cost?
How do I know what coils are bad?
OEM parts or aftermarket?

I don't want to dump this car. I'll lose money and feel bad about passing on the problem (But if I have to, I will). I have 2 young kids and we travel up to 600 miles a day when on vacation, and that's what I bought this car for.

bruce_in_pa18015

Post by bruce_in_pa18015 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Bill,

I apologize to all for the confusion I may have caused in stating I made a post on 4/5/2018, when in fact on 4/5/2018 is when I had the spark plugs replaced, 4 coils replaced, and a complete tune up to resolve the engine miss I was experiencing.

On 11/3/2018 is when I posted the history of my transmission malfunctions, and the success I had up to that point in time with no more transmission malfunctions after making the repairs to eliminate the engine miss.

On 6/25/2019 I followed up with an up date stating I was continuing to not have any transmission malfunctions.

To answer your questions. Yes I had my mechanic (professional) do the work. I had him connect his diagnostic meter and took him for a ride up a long steep hill, and made the engine lug in high gear until it miss fired so he could tell which cylinder it was. It happened to be cylinder #6. I was able to get all the service records from the previous owner, and saw that the spark plugs were never changed, so we decided to replace them all. Replacing the plugs on the head next to the fire wall, requires removing a lot of the components on top of the engine, so a lot of labor is involved and we decided that we would replace those coils at the same time. We also replaced the #6 coil. Aftermarket parts were used. The complete job cost me $769, which so far has been well worth it in lieu of a $4,000 transmission job which others have reported did not fix the problem.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 pm

You replaced 4/6 coils... I wonder if I should just have all 6 replaced. I can buy 6 Duralast for under $300. OEM are about $450 for 6. Do you remember what brand you put in?

(Just a note, I found in my travels: There is a service bulletin, if the PCM is replaced, then ALL coils and spark plugs need to be replaced or coils burn up, and the new PCM.)

bruce_in_pa18015

Post by bruce_in_pa18015 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 am

No I don't know what brand coil was used.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:13 pm

I do find it strange that the codes that people are getting have not a damn thing to do with the coils, don't you?

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Just bought a set of 6 coils (Duralast) and 6 spark plugs (Motocraft OEM) at AutoZone. Total cost, $335. Will have installed this week. I'm also going to have my mechanic give the car a once over - CV joints, motor mounts, etc. while he has it.
Crossing my fingers, will post results.
Note: It hasn't happened since that one time, driven daily in city. just shy of 88k miles now.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Dropped off the car today. Mechanic found a code P0720, speed sensor. But as we all know, that doesn't fix it. He's keeping it over the weekend to do the coils and plugs. He found no misfires, but we didn't check it out while driving.
Looking at all the posts in this thread, I decided to look for people that posted a "fix", and never returned. I found this from Mikew » Tue Dec 09, 2014:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11594
"Just to follow-up on this issue here's my update on my car. After resetting the ECM a bunch of times via the removing the battery cable I finally took the car into the local Ford dealer. The problem turned out to be a failed ignition coil. The engine has separate coils for each spark plug come to find out. The issue that I was seeing that finally got the problem fixed was a 'stutter' in the engine that was really noticeable after the car warmed up between 35-40mph. The issue has not come back since the coil was changed about 10 weeks ago. The part was $190 and about the same in labor to put in."
And he hasn't been back since.
I have noticed it feels a bit rough coming home after work at about the same speed. Almost felt like a tire slightly out of balance. I think we may be on to something.

Mikew

Post by Mikew » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:51 pm

The dashboard lighting up started again in about three months. At that point I traded the car in on a Mazda 6 and never looked back. I really liked the car but just couldn't deal with it any longer.

-mike

BILLinVegas wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 pm
Dropped off the car today. Mechanic found a code P0720, speed sensor. But as we all know, that doesn't fix it. He's keeping it over the weekend to do the coils and plugs. He found no misfires, but we didn't check it out while driving.
Looking at all the posts in this thread, I decided to look for people that posted a "fix", and never returned. I found this from Mikew » Tue Dec 09, 2014:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11594
"Just to follow-up on this issue here's my update on my car. After resetting the ECM a bunch of times via the removing the battery cable I finally took the car into the local Ford dealer. The problem turned out to be a failed ignition coil. The engine has separate coils for each spark plug come to find out. The issue that I was seeing that finally got the problem fixed was a 'stutter' in the engine that was really noticeable after the car warmed up between 35-40mph. The issue has not come back since the coil was changed about 10 weeks ago. The part was $190 and about the same in labor to put in."
And he hasn't been back since.
I have noticed it feels a bit rough coming home after work at about the same speed. Almost felt like a tire slightly out of balance. I think we may be on to something.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Oh, hell, Mike. Sorry to hear that. I really like this car too, it checked all the boxes on what I wanted and needed.
I've already bought the parts and they're being put in. I'll keep the thread informed, but I'm not feeling very optimistic right now. Keeping that 8 mm wrench handy!

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 pm

6 Coils and plugs installed. Mechanic charged me $160 to install. So about $470 for 6 coils and plugs installed. He cleared the P0720 code too. BUT... He found a bad motor mount ($90+ labor) and did a front end alignment (it drifted right a bit).
It does run smoother. Old plugs weren't weren't too bad for 88k miles, although I haven't checked the gap. I assume they were original equipment. Kept the old OEM coils and plugs "just i case".
88k miles right now. I'm going to get a little braver in my travels with time, I'll let you know if something goes wrong. Keeping the 8mm handy.

MikeGlosta
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Post by MikeGlosta » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 am

I have a 2008 Taurus SEL with the same problems and symptoms you have described: clunking from P into R and D. Wrench light and other lights on. Unable to drive with any amount of pickup.

The code came up as Out Speed Sensor - meaning the transmission had to be removed to get to the replacement. When the fluid was drained there was quite a lot of metal filings in the pan. I doubt the transmission is as bulletproof as a lot of others are saying.

Anyway, a new sensor was put in, and unfortunately I encountered the same problem on a couple of different occasions.

So here's what I did: detached the positive battery cable for a few minutes to clear the codes. This doesn't tell me that the problem has been fixed, only that it is a possibility. The sensor might have been bad, I believe it was, but without having the codes cleared the problem was bound to show up again.

I've driven over 600+ miles after clearing the codes without the problem coming up once again.

The metal filings is what really worries me: 134000 miles, not too high for an 11 year old car.

Try clearing the codes and let me know what happens:

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:39 pm

I think any car with 138,000 will have some amount of metal in the pan, but I have no Idea what "A LOT" is. If the tranny has never had the pan off, it's been collecting since day 1.
Yes, you can clear the codes. But it will come back some day, that's what everyone is saying. Is it possible your mechanic didn't clear the code after replacing the sensor?
I opted for the cheaper attempt at a fix first, replacing the coils and plugs. If that doesn't work, I'll have both the OSS and TSS replaced, If that doesn't work I'm out of Ideas and will unload it.
Curious, what did you pay to have the OSS replaced?

MikeGlosta
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Post by MikeGlosta » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Very possible the codes were not cleared when the job was done - I don't know and didn't ask when I picked up the car. " A lot" of metal finding means just that, otherwise he would have said normal wear. I tend not to believe everything I read online so I'm skeptical of the problem returning after the new OSS was installed.
The scan read that the OSS was the problem so that's the fix I went with. I've done some work on cars and just don't see how replacing the coils and plugs would fix or has anything to do with the OSS. I would have tried to fix the problem myself but simply don't have the means to pull the transmission.

I think that if clearing the codes will get me 600+ miles until the problem pops up again - and having already paid $500 to have the OSS replaced - I'll have to settle for this method. The car simply isn't worth experimenting with replacing other parts and waiting to see if I got it right this time.

Right now the car runs like a Caddy, you don't even know it is on and shifts as smooth as the day it came off the lot.

Honestly, I think the code wasn't cleared by the mechanic. If you knew this guy you'd probably think the same.

BILLinVegas

Post by BILLinVegas » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Let the forum know if the problem returns.
I really think it's an electrical problem, strange how you can clear the code and it runs fine for a while without replacing anything. An unexpected fault could be setting off the computer to react strangely. I figured that it probably was about time to change plugs anyway, and since it's so difficult to replace the back ones I may as well replace the coils and be done with it.
I really like this car, too. Runs and drives great, low mileage and good shape. Seeing as how I just got it and have $$ invested, I'll have to stick it out.