If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

OEM Taurus Console Questions - for PI install

Sterling_Ceptor
Vehicle: 2016 Ford PI Sedan

OEM Taurus Console Questions - for PI install

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:30 pm

So I snagged a center console from an SE this week. It's basically mint. I'm putting it into a 2016 PI sedan which came with just the metal console mounting plate.

A couple questions I have for those who've done this mod before:

1. How can I make the rear HVAC ducts active? I'm assuming I need some plastic duct work to install so that the duct work inside the console will hook up? Looking at Ford diagrams, it appears there are a couple parts that would give you an outlet on the passenger side for this to hook into, but i'm not sure.

2. What do you mount this to in the PI and with what fasteners? I don't see any brackets. Do I remove the metal console mounting plate in the car too?

3. The console has 2 12v outlets (one in the rear and one inside the armrest) as well as usb/aux input ports. What's the best way to hook these up and make use of them?

Before I install it in the car, I also have on the way the parts needed to make this match a factory PI console. (so I have a couple extra parts I'll be unloading in the future) Many thanks in advance!
2016 Ford PI Sedan

Voltaire00
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus police

Re: OEM Taurus Console Questions - for PI install

Post by Voltaire00 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:13 pm

1) For the rear ducts they should be already in the console that you bought. There is a factory duct already in the car that is covered up and when you install the console it just slides in.

2) I removed the metal plate on mine. There should be bolts that line up with the console and the console is held in with these two bolts and kinda "clips" in at the back.

3) you need a special ordered part for the 12 volt outlets from ford. It costs about $150 iirc. Without this part you will have a gap from be console and the hvac controls.

I recommend looking at the thread where this has been done. It has the part # there.
Keep in mind that my PI is a 2013. 2016 models may be different.

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am

Voltaire, I actually did look at several threads first. None of which really answered my specific questions.

I have on order the 12V outlets that meet up under the dash. (DG1Z-5404608-JA) The two other outlets I was referring two are in the console itself and the one in the rear. I'm not even sure a factory PI console has either? The rear looks like its actually blanked off on this '13. Would like to hook them up though if I can. I'm thinking I could tap into the police wiring harness.

The duct is part of the console I got - I was asking about if theres anything I needed to do on the car itself. Based on what you just said, you're telling me this duct should exist under my dash? Thanks. :D
2016 Ford PI Sedan

Voltaire00

Post by Voltaire00 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am

The two 12 volts connectors will not match up to any connectors to the car. So yeah you will have to tap into the police harness.

Yes, it will be in the dash already. Good luck!

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by mope » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am

there is a harness pack you can buy to help wire your civi console. it plugs into two of the existing PIS empty harnesses under the center dash and each lead has the function of that wire (always hot/door open/ignition on, etc.) with these, you can easily decide how to best connect your civi console electronics like the lighting when headlights are on (and color), the console usb plugs, etc.

the mic in is a bit more complicated as you have to pin into the back of the acm and then turn on that function in forscan, but it works and makes life a lot more functional!

mope

Post by mope » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am

There's plenty of power options in those two harnesses - It's got low gauge hots/grounds that I used to wire my heated seats too!

Voltaire00

Post by Voltaire00 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 pm

mope wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am
there is a harness pack you can buy to help wire your civi console. it plugs into two of the existing PIS empty harnesses under the center dash and each lead has the function of that wire (always hot/door open/ignition on, etc.) with these, you can easily decide how to best connect your civi console electronics like the lighting when headlights are on (and color), the console usb plugs, etc.
What harness is this? I haven't heard of it before. Where can I get it from? Ford? I'd like to clean up my wiring a bit.

mope

Post by mope » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

i'm not around here too much anymore, but helping a guy through a memory seat bypass and was trying to find an old picture.....the harnesses are seen in this youtube video and can be found on some old threads here too (though I'm not going to look for them!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8psAiwsuIEI

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Mope,

I actually got the harnesses you're speaking of with the connectors when I bought the car....still new in pack. That's a great idea to use them if I want the two other cig lighters - I plan on removing the existing harness from the console as I have no need for it. This Taurus it came from didn't have ambient lighting anyway, etc. no fancy stuff to speak of.

Now for one of you who have an interceptor that came from the factory with the console, can you show me what the back of your looks like along with what's inside the armrest compartment - again trying to match it to factory specs? I've wondered if the bucket is different, or if they just blank it off like the dash where the usb/audio port would normally be.
2016 Ford PI Sedan

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 pm

So I got my console and needed parts:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The middle plate I order because I decided the other parts didn't fit my needs...I might cut it out later or something, or possibly even mount something on top it yet who knows. Mine is metal, and black in color. I seem to recall the OEM factory piece is silver in color, atleast in early PI sedans. Anyone ever seen one that wasn't silver?

Edit: Apparently 2014+ came with the black colored piece on the console and not the original silver one...for those of you (like me) not wanting to hack it together with the original boot shifter plate & compartments. Here's a pic I found from an online auction:
2016 Ford PI Sedan

kyledooley

Post by kyledooley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pm

My plate is silver and it scratches like a mofo. Mine is off at the powder coater's right now getting color matched and shot in the same color as the adjacent cup holders and accessory plate, but in a bit more durable coating.

FWIW, mine is a '13 and it's silver on the top, but the base part is black in color.

I'll see if I can shoot a couple of pics to answer your questions when I get home. Basically the answers to your questions are everything is blocked off. The back is just the vents. No USBs or 12v. Under the armrest is just an empty box and the coin tray. There are no USB/12v or anything lke that. Curiously, it does have the little notch where you would put the key fob with a plastic plug/cover over it.

There are a set of ducts that run through the botttom, but I never paid attention to what/where they tie in to on the air manifold up front, under the radio. I have a remote mount Motorola XTL500 in there. The hand held control head is mounted on the dash, but I put the brick in the void of the console (under the black plate in your pics) because there was tons of room, and running the single antenna cable up from the trunk was free, and the remote control CAN Bus cable for mounting the brick in the trunk was $75.

Let me know how the two trim pieces along the top match with the dash. The PI ones are injection molded plastic, but the civvy ones are padded/wrapped from what I can tell. I just wondered if the colors matched well. I keep thinking someday I'm going to break one of those and the PI versions are like $160 a side and civvy ones are basically free in the junk yard.

Kyle

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I wonder if the flaking paint is why they are just all black now...we won't paint it anymore, just leave it shiny black lol.

Thanks a lot Kyle for invoking my OCD...now I feel like I need to buy the molded plastic pieces. LOL I knew something looked slightly different with the console side pieces than what I was used to seeing in other pics. Just couldn't put my finger on it. It looks to be the right color though, but I guess I'll have to compare once.

I feel like I should remove the usb/aux input piece from the console and swap that with the blank dash. Then I can remove the extra wiring harness and such I won't use. Then I can run aux over and I'll come up with something to make that USB power only I suppose.
2016 Ford PI Sedan

kyledooley

Post by kyledooley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 pm

If you pull it, let me know. I'll take it off your hands. I've been looking for one.

K.

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

kyledooley wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 pm
If you pull it, let me know. I'll take it off your hands. I've been looking for one.

K.
Not sure what you mean, lol?
2016 Ford PI Sedan

kyledooley

Post by kyledooley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Sorry. I thought you said you were pulling out the aux/usb dash panel/harness. I'm looking for one.

Sterling_Ceptor

Post by Sterling_Ceptor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm

The only harness I have is the one that comes attached to the civi console. I'm removing that since its not plug and play and I don't need it for anything. The Sync module mounted underneath is also getting trashed..

Inside the compartment is one of those panels for usb/aux you're referring too. I'm currently contemplating if I want to install that in the dash compartment instead and do aux in and somehow power the USB port.
2016 Ford PI Sedan